First Day of School...Our first grader

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

jody and noah



"I was never a class clown or anything like that, but I do remember being in the 
first grade and my teacher, Mr. Chad, told the class one day that we were going 
to do some exercises. He meant math exercises, but I stood up and started doing
 jumping jacks. To this day, I don't know what possessed me to do that,
 but all my friends cracked up."

--Will Ferrell 


The days leading up to your first day of school (however old you may be) can be pretty nerve-wracking and intimidating.  I remember as a kid being so nervous and anxious before my first day back to school.  Worried that my teacher would be mean....concerned that none of my friends would be in my class...a little sick at my stomach that I'd make a fool of myself in front of the class somehow, etc....So it came as no surprise that the few days leading up to our Little Man's first day back to school---he began to feel a little anxious and express some concern about having to go back to school---starting first grade and having a new teacher.

The night before his first day, his Daddy asked him if he'd like a priesthood blessing.  Noah immediately started smiling and said yes, that he would.  And then Jody proceeded to give him the sweetest, most tender father's blessing of comfort and assurance for his first day of school.  I couldn't resist snapping a quick photo of this tender moment.  He blessed Noah that Heavenly Father would be watching over him on his first day of school and throughout the year.  That Noah would be able to think clearly, eagerly learn as much as possible and use his intelligence and creative mind that the Lord has blessed him with to accomplish much this year in first grade.  

Afterwards, Little Man gave his Daddy a great, big hug and was beaming from ear to ear.  I could sense that his little heart felt much more at ease about starting his first day of first grade after receiving this sweet blessing.

IMG_7588

On the morning of...I went in to wake him by turning on the light--he was already stirring--which surprised me since he's like his mama (we're NOT morning people).  He's wasn't happy about the bright light being turned on, but I told him we couldn't dilly-dally--- it was time to start getting ready. 


IMG_7585 IMG_7578 IMG_7584

He didn't grumble too much thankfully...and pretty soon he was up....putting his school clothes on, brushing his teeth and hair.  We ate a quick breakfast, said our morning prayer and then quickly headed out the door.  Daddy stayed home with the babies so I could walk him in on his first day and take a few pictures of him in his new classroom.

IMG_7590 IMG_7589 IMG_7596 IMG_7597

Since he attended this school last year, he was already comfortable with his surroundings as soon as we walked in the door. Also, the day before we had attended the "Meet the Teacher" event-- so he knew right where to go and which classroom to walk into on his first day.

I let him lead the way down the hallway to his classroom...

IMG_7599 IMG_7602 IMG_7603

Several of the kiddos were already in the classroom, so when we walked in, he gently nudged his new teacher's shirt and introduced himself, "Hi...my name is Noah".  He's never really been one to be shy...so this didn't surprise me.  :-)

I then asked her if she could pose for a quick photo with him....and then afterwards, he headed over to his desk and began to get settled in and started talking with his new classmates.

IMG_7604 IMG_7606 IMG_7607 IMG_7608 IMG_7609 IMG_7610

His class stayed in their classroom for about 10 minutes after the parents all headed out and then it was time for the classes to assemble for morning chapel.  I hung around in the hallway so I could snap a few last photos of him while he and his classmates walked down to the chapel...as I was watching him come down the hallway---I have to admit I got a little sad and teary eyed.  I was taken back at how much older he looks this school year versus last year.  It breaks my heart how fast this time with him is going by---he's growing up way too fast.  

As hard as some days can be and admittedly---there are moments that I miss my career...watching him walk down that hallway with the biggest grin on his face---feeling confident and happy--it was a reminder of how thankful I am that I've had this time these past few years to stay at home full-time and spend my days with him (and now with baby boy and Taylor).  To step away from my career and focus on my family---I will forever look back on these days with our children and cherish them and know that it was all worth it.  They are only young once and I don't want to miss out on any of these special moments.

IMG_7611 IMG_7612 IMG_7613 IMG_7614 IMG_7617

He stepped out of line and gave me one last big hug before they headed into the chapel...my heart was in my throat at this point.  It's always so hard to part with him when I drop him off at school...I feel like I'm leaving my heart behind.

IMG_7618 IMG_7619 IMG_7621

I went into the cafeteria where they had juice and donuts for the parents while the kiddos were in the chapel....I visited with a few moms for a bit.  And then--- I peeked in on him one last time after they were back in the classroom before I left--- just to check how things were going and this is what I saw....

noah school

One happy little first grader....already giggling and laughing with his new classmates.
This sight made my heart melt...
how thankful I am for our beautiful son--
for his outgoing, ever loving, confident little spirit.

His Daddy and I are sure looking forward to enjoying this school year with our first grader--
I'm sure it will be filled with all sorts of fun and exciting experiences.

xo,
jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Great photos. Noah looks so happy. Cannot believe how tall he has gotten!!

    ReplyDelete