A Family Picture {with kid drama and meltdowns}

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Untitled

During our visit to East Texas recently, we had the whole gang together, so we decided it was the perfect time to take some family pictures at my parent's place.  My sister-in-law, Katherine, had all her camera gear and took the pictures for us.  I'm so happy we were able to do this while we were all in town. The last time we were able to get everyone together for a family photo was during this visit back in 2009 when Jody and I had just moved back to Texas from Virginia.  We've added more babies to the family since then, so we were way over do for an updated Bishop family picture.

Now we weren't kidding ourselves, we knew this wasn't going to be easy.  The kiddos had been playing and tromping around outside all morning at KiKi and Pop's house and the last thing they wanted to do was have to clean up, get into their church clothes and stand around for some silly pictures.

As you can probably imagine, having nine children all under the age of 7 between me and my three brothers-- there was a fair amount of drama and pouting throughout the process.  It was like herding cats for the most part!  And, it was a little windy and a tad bit chilly---so that added a little stress as well because little Taylor was so young to be out in the chilly weather.  I won't lie---I'm a little mama hen when it comes to my baby girl! ;-) But all in all, it went just fine and we all survived.

Instead of just showing you the "perfectly posed and nice smile" photos...I decided to include some of the ones that show a little of the drama that ensued as we tried to herd all of the kiddos for the picture.  When my sister-in-law showed me these...I was cracking up at the expressions of the kids in each one.


Untitled
Untitled
Other than my niece Ava having a little meltdown, things started out pretty smoothly---
but then after a few minutes...
little Marcus got bored and made a run for it.
Uh-oh...


Untitled
My brother, Jeff (his Daddy) herded him in and held him for the next shot...


Untitled

And then not too long after that, Taylor and baby boy began to get really fussy...
Untitled

So we decided to move on to the grandparent and grandkid picture...little Taylor was a hot mess at this point.  It took everything I had not to scoop her up and take her inside.
Poor baby...she was a trooper though.

And Noah (as you can see above) was madder than a hornet that his Daddy and I wouldn't give him his airplane back.

Untitled

We were able to soothe and calm Taylor and baby boy down---and Noah---well, Aunt Katherine said to just give him the airplane back...so we did. :-)  He was fine after that.

But then Beck (on your far left) was beginning to show signs of a meltdown---
he was so ready to go run and play with Noah.
Needless to say, after this pic below...we shut her down and called it a day on the group photos. ;-)

Untitled Untitled
Lola is such a hoot...she enjoyed every minute of it--such a cutie-pie!
I think she would have posed for the camera as long as we asked her to...

Untitled
Untitled
Brian and his wife Katherine, and kids...Ava, Lola and Otto

Untitled
Jeff and his wife, Jill and their son, Marcus

Untitled
Our little gang...

Untitled
My beautiful parents...KiKi and Pops

Untitled

Brent and his wife, Sheri and their kids, Beck and Kinsey
Untitled

Such a fun time...we had to get a little creative to get the kids to smile for the camera--
but all in all...we're thrilled how they turned out.

Untitled Untitled

These family pictures really capture in such a special way where our family is now...
 my brothers and I enjoying life now with our spouses and being parents--
and mom and dad savoring life now as grandparents---and, oh how they love their grandbabies!
The kids always look forward to getting to visit their KiKi and Pops.

Untitled Untitled Untitled

I know we will cherish these family photos for years to come...
as I watch each of my brothers with their families and 
my dear mom and dad enjoy this season of their lives as grandparents---
my heart is overflowing with love and gratitude for each of them.

My family--each of them--have always been my best friends--they have always been there for me
in my greatest time of need and quite frankly, even those times when I probably was
least deserving of their love.

We have shared many laughs and jokes over the years...
we have shared so many silly and hilarious moments together...
and of course, we have had our fair share of fiery disagreements, too...
but there has never--ever-- been any doubt that we are as close as a family can be 
and are each other's rock solid foundation of unconditional love and support.
I know this kind of love is made possible because of the deep love our parents have for
each other and for us, but also--because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and our commitment to our faith.

The Gospel has brought and continues to bring our family great joy and happiness--
it is what bonds our relationships with one another---particularly during the harder times in life.
We have learned as a family that by living the standards of the Gospel, by staying close to the Lord
and by always remembering what is most important in this life....our faith and our family--
a greater sense of peace and gratitude flows into our lives and our relationships with one another.
It is what keeps the love that we have for one another both strong and steady.

I am truly grateful and blessed to have each of them in my life and to be able to call them my forever family.

xo,
jennifer

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for forever families! And hooray for the Gospel! I loved seeing your family. What a great loookin' group. Picture time is always kind of crazy, but always so fun to have those pictures. I love how your parents are called KiKi and Pops. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also loving that your parents are called KiKi and Pops.

    Perhaps you have answered this somewhere else, but why don't you put baby boy's name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are just FABULOUS. I love all of the facial expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. I love families photos that are "real"...so much more fun to look back on over the years.

    ReplyDelete