Hard to believe it's already been a week...

Monday, November 19, 2012


Hi there...

A lot has happened since my last post of the birth of little Taylor.
We are now back home and feeling settled in
 with our precious baby daughter, Taylor Elizabeth.

My heart still swoons every time I write or type her name...

Baby boy and Noah have been sick with a little virus and 
running a fever since we returned home, so life has been a bit more hectic than I
had planned--but we are surviving.
Thank goodness for antibiotics and benadryl. ;-)

My sweet Mom flew back home with us last week and stayed
until Saturday to help out.
I am so grateful for her help-- her being here put my mind at ease
 and she really had some great advice to help me get adjusted to my new routine of
being the mama to three kiddos. :-)
My mom knows all too well about that...she raised four babies (me and my 3 brothers)
and we were all close in age...no more than 2 years apart.
So she well understands having 2 babies in diapers and bottle feeding at once.
A lot of work!

It still feels a bit surreal to be able to say I have a daughter.
I every once in a while pinch myself to remind myself it's not a dream.
I literally have to force myself to put her down...I just want to hold her constantly.
I already love her so much.  How truly thankful I am
for this sweet little spirit Heavenly Father has entrusted Jody and me to raise.
We are so humbled and touched by Taylor's birthmother---for having the courage and
faith to choose us as her adoptive parents.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was beginning to worry that a second adoption might
never come to fruition for us.  We had so many setbacks these past four years.
There were times that we strongly considered throwing in the towel and just
giving up, but something inside me wouldn't let me do that.
I just kept having this feeling that another spirit was meant to come to our home.
I am now beginning to realize that this second adoption all had to come about in God's timing...
not mine...not Jody's....there was a bigger plan for us.
Through this second adoption experience, I now have a deeper understanding of
God's plan for me as a mother --- a journey that wasn't as easy as I had hoped--but one
that has provided me greater depth and appreciation for the gift of motherhood.

And so...let's see...
what all can I share with you about our little Taylor
and our first week at home with her...

She loves to cuddle...
She loves her bath time...has yet to cry when I wash her hair.
She does this sweet little hum while she's sleeping...it is the most precious sound.
She smiles and giggles sometimes when she's sleeping--I love watching her sleep.
She loves for her grandma to snuggle and hold her...
She likes when I kiss her on her cheeks...
She loves when her big brother holds her hand softly and tells her he loves her, and..
...she especially loves when her Daddy sings her a lullaby while she's drinking her bottle. 


Here are a few pictures of our first week (and a half) with Taylor.
I've been primarily shooting pics with my iPhone...
so please excuse the fuzzy shots.
It's much more handy right now to use that than trying to pull out my big 'ole fancy camera.


KiKi enjoying some snuggle time in the recliner.

At our first pediatrician appointment together.

After her first bath...I love this color on her.

Daddy feeding her a bottle in the wee hours of the night and singing to her.

Taking her afternoon nap...she seems to sleep the soundest in the afternoons.

One of my bazillion kisses I've given her this past week.

Downing her bottle...she's drinking up to 2-3 ounces at each feeding.

The first night we had Taylor after leaving the hospital...Daddy was feeding her a bottle 
in our hotel room.  Really touching moment for us.

I love taking really close shots of her beautiful face...her eyes have already turned from a brown to
a gray--blue hue now.  So pretty. 

Daddy put together her cool swing...she really likes it.  

Here she is the first time we strapped her in her car seat just before we
were able to leave the hospital with her.

Noah getting to see Taylor for the very first time at the hospital...
I have a funny story to share....
Just before Taylor was born and while we were all in the hospital room
with Taylor's birthmom waiting...as you can imagine,
Noah was still trying to figure this all out.

At one point, Taylor's birthmom was explaining that she had his baby sister
in her tummy.  Noah just looked at her and then at us and then back at her...
he had this serious look on his face.

He then put his hands on his hips and said to her birth mom....
"Why did you eat my baby sister?!!"

We all died laughing...it was pretty comical and yet if you think about it...
logical for a 6-year old...

My mom and I then had a talk with him about how Taylor was kind of 
like a little seed that was planted in her birthmommy's tummy....by Heavenly Father...
and she grew and grew in her tummy for 9 months and it was almost time for her to come out.
He seemed to understand it better after we explained it this way. :-)

Before we left Dallas, I asked my sister-in-law, katherine, the resident family photographer
to take some infant portrait shots of Taylor.
The quilt that Taylor is laying on in these pictures....her birthmother made this beautiful
quilt for her.  So special.


Grandparents, KiKi and Poppy, feeding her in between the picture taking.

My sister-in-laws Katherine and Sheri getting her posed just right for the pictures.
The little knitted cap that Taylor is wearing above...it so beautiful--my sister-in-law, Jill...
she knitted that for Taylor.

Taylor meeting most of her Bishop cousins...the only one missing was Kinsey...she was sick that day
and couldn't make it.

I love this picture-- it was the first morning I could really see her eyes.


The three of us in our hotel room, the day we were able to fly back home with our baby girl...
one of the happiest days of my life.

xoxo,
Jennifer

8 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you! She is SO beautiful. And I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post! So happy for you and your family! Congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful Jennifer. She is just precious. That gift of a quilt is probably one of the most touching things her birthmother could give her. She will definitely know she was loved by her, and is now loved by you and the family. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful. beautiful. beautiful. cried happy tears of joy reading this post, so then i read it again and cried somemore. sooooo very happy for you my friend. thrilled. love, love, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me cry--so excited for you, such a beautiful gift of the quilt from her birthmother--such a precious and beautiful little girl, loved by so many!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your family! I am so glad that everything worked out and that you guys now have this beautiful baby girl in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is just gorgeous! I love all the pictures, but my favorite is the one of your mom passed out on the couch holding her. <3

    I hope this beautiful little girl realizes one day just how lucky she is to be loved by so many and to have you for a mommy.

    Let the spoiling begin. Little girls are so much fun. You're going to have such a good time getting to be girly again. :)

    Take care,
    Amy Gootee

    ReplyDelete