Storms of Life and Rainbows...

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

photo

This weekend, our rain storms brought some breathtaking views in the skies above--

Heavenly clouds...
photo1

...and a magnificent rainbow
photo3


Seeing a rainbow of this magnitude is always a humbling experience.  As we drove around in the car this weekend following the rainstorm and first saw this rainbow, as you can imagine, Noah, had all sorts of questions for us.  It was so cute to hear him talk from the backseat about how cool it was and inquire where rainbows come from---he is at that precious age where his little mind is bursting with curiosity and questions about everything around him and how Heavenly Father and Jesus are involved. 

As Jody and I answered his questions during our drive, I got to thinking about the eternal significance of rainbows...I don't know about you, but I like to think of them as Heavenly Father's way of smiling down on us and reminding us in the most symbolic way that all is well...much like our own lives as we face our own personal storms of life.  I also think they are symbolic of how we as disciples of Christ need to try and live our lives in service of others---to be that bright ray of light, hope and joy for those around us who are in need of feeling Christ's love for them.  To be reminded that there are better days ahead.  

I've been pondering this thought a great deal these past few weeks now that I am caring for baby boy---our precious foster son. He, at such a tender and young age, is in the midst of one of his first storms of life.  Because of circumstances completely out of his control, he now resides in the foster care system at just 9 months old.  As heartbreaking as this is, I take solace in the fact that however long or short he may be in our home---we have the opportunity to love and shelter him as best as we can--to shield him from the storms that are surrounding him.  Yes, I pray daily that we can be a rainbow of hope and love for him at this tender time in his life when he needs it the most.

I think we all have opportunities in our lives to be a rainbow--or beam of light for others.  There are so many around us who are struggling to keep the faith as they face their own storms of life.  There are too many missed opportunities every single day to help someone who is in need. As I reflect back on my own life and the "memorable" storms of life I've faced personally, how grateful I am to those individuals who were there for me....serving as heavenly beams of light and hope--at a time when I needed them most.  Through their love and service, I was reminded in a very personal way that my Heavenly Father and the Savior had not forgotten about me---that they love me dearly and know me by name. 

While I know and understand from a spiritual lens that the storms of life are part of a grander plan for each of us---they are for our growth and benefit.  In essence, they are what humble us and draw us back to our Father in Heaven.  And yet, as I look at them through the human/natural man lens, as I so often make the mistake of doing... this knowledge doesn't always make it any easier to persevere through the storms.  But inevitably, I always take great comfort in knowing that the Savior will never forsake us...he'll continue to succor us in our storms and provide the much needed rainbows...those rays of light and hope to lead us safely back to Him and our Father in Heaven.  The real test for us in this life is to keep the faith, to always maintain an eternal perspective as we tackle our mortal trials and to never forget Him as we go about our daily lives. 


"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. 
The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, 
and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."

 ~Lord Byron


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!