Choosing daily to make time for the Lord.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Today at church, I felt such inspiration and wisdom flowing into my heart and mind as I listened to two wonderful guest speakers share their spiritual messages during our Sacrament meeting.   You see, most Sundays I don't always get to enjoy this particular hour of our church because my oh so precious and precarious son is usually being a handful for his mom.  Sitting still or staying quiet during Sacrament is definitely a struggle for our little guy.  I can't say I blame him...I'm sure when I was five years old, the last thing I wanted to do was sit still for an entire hour and listen to those boring big people talk non-stop.   But ironically, today, it was one of those Sundays where I was really needing to feel the Spirit and receive inspiration.  Surprisingly, Noah was really well behaved.  He sat so quietly next to me and ate his little snack, drew some pictures and played with his little truck.  I was so proud of him...he's definitely starting to mature and grow up.  I think Heavenly Father must have known that I needed to actually hear His messages today.  I have no doubt that he helped calm my little 5 year old's activity level just long enough so Mommy could actually listen and focus. In fact, I even had time to jot down (well, I actually typed into the notes section on my iPhone) many of the "spiritual gems" that seemed to resonate within my heart today.

Here are just a few of those gems that seemed to take root in my heart as I listened today...

1.) We can believe and yet still not have sufficient faith in Jesus Christ.

2.) Faith is action. It leads us to follow Christ and be better disciples.

3.) The Lord can work miracles in our lives, but it is dependent on our faith.

4.) We should seek to increase our faith in Christ daily. We must work at it. When we do our part, He will always meet us halfway.

5.) Strive to make choices that will lead you back to the Savior.

6.) "BUSY" = Bound Under Satan's Yoke....our lives are getting busier and busier which is what the adversary wants.  The distractions themselves aren't necessarily sins; however, they all too often distract and prevent us from focusing on Christ, His teachings and serving others.

7.) We can be busy in the church and service but not be fully converted...just because we attend all our church meetings and fulfill our callings, this does not necessitate a full conversion.  We must strive daily in our hearts to be better disciples of Christ.   To live our lives in a manner that reflect the Savior's teachings.  We must study our scriptures daily and kneel in prayer to stay close to the Lord.

8.) It's possible to be active in the church and inactive in the Gospel.  Just going through the motions of attending our church meetings, fulfilling our callings, etc. is not enough.  We must be anxiously and actively engaged in the Lord's work....wholeheartedly NOT half-heartedly.

9.) We always seem to have time for the things we put first...do we put the Lord first?

10.)  Learn from the past....prepare for the future...live in the present.


As I was listening, the following verses in Matthew 6:19-21 seemed to play over and over in my head:

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

I don't know about you, but all too often I find myself as a wife and mom focused and weighed down by so many little things in my life.  Life is extremely busy and hectic, it's hard not to sometimes become overwhelmed by it all.  But ironically, when I really pause and think about all of these little things that I find myself distracted by---in the grand scheme of Heavenly Father's plan for me (and you), they really don't have any eternal significance.

I am learning as I get older that it requires greater work and effort on our part to prioritize what matters most to us.  I was reminded of this today.  But particularly when it comes to our relationship with the Lord, we must choose daily to make time for Him.  To read and ponder our scriptures....to seek Him in sincere prayer....and to have a humble heart in order to follow His teachings.  As I sat in church today and pondered these things, I also thought how my life is definitely much sweeter and peaceful when I am actively engaged in these things and putting the Lord first.

Just some random thoughts that I wanted to record on this Sunday afternoon so I can reflect back on later down the road and remember.

XOXO,

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer!
    I'm so happy to see you're back! I missed you!
    Your last post on your blog (before it became private) was really moving...you are such a brave and wonderful woman...never forget, never!
    Love
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very good points. My CBS class studied Hebrews this past year and we discussed a lot of the same things.

    ReplyDelete