The Memorial Day party...a long standing tradition.

Thursday, May 31, 2012


For the last 30 plus years, my Uncle Bill and Aunt Stevie have hosted an annual Memorial Day party at their home on the lake.  Uncle Bill is my mother's oldest brother and for our family, he has always been the life of any party or family get together.  Uncle Bill is also a veteran and has always held this holiday near and dear to his heart.  He has a deep love for the men and women who serve for our country and so it is only fitting that he has hosted this special Memorial Day celebration all these years. 

Growing up (and even to this day) I always enjoy seeing my uncle and my mom reconnect with all their childhood friends that usually come out for this party each year.  It is not only a celebration of the holiday, but it also feels like a reunion of sorts for my uncle and all of his friends-- people that have been in his life for so very long.  There's inevitably someone who comes each year who my uncle or my mom haven't seen since their high school years or childhood.  I've always enjoyed that aspect of the party--watching the happy and joyous smiles on everyone's faces as they reconnect after not seeing each other for so many years.  

In the 10 years that Jody and I have been married, my dear hubby has never been able to go to one of Uncle Bill's parties and I have only been able to go a few times--it seems we were either living out of state or couldn't be there because of conflicts with work.  But this year, the stars aligned for us and it all worked out that we could travel together to Dallas and attend the annual party.  Jody was happy to finally attend one of Uncle Bill's Memorial day parties and I was excited to be able to see so many of my extended family members.

The afternoon of the party, we loaded up the car and headed over to Uncle Bill's and Aunt Stevie's house for the big shin-dig.  Noah wanted to ride with my parents to the party, so Jody and I had about 45 minutes in the car on the drive up to visit and hang out.  It's always nice to have quiet time as a couple. ;-)

My Uncle Kerry---he and his band (Loose Gravel) performed at the party and they were really good. 





Noah had a blast playing in the pool with his cousins and the rest of the kids.


The men were busy most of the afternoon overseeing the fish frying...







My brother Brian and Otto...

At one point, Uncle Kerry invited his daughter (my cousin Chelsea in the pink and white striped towel) and a few of her friends to join the band in singing a few songs.  They were too cute and quite a hit with the crowd!

My momma posing for me in the sweltering heat...



We were all excited when the fish was ready and it came time to eat....

Noah posing with his other Bishop cousins, Eliot and the quintuplets...we were so happy to see the quintuplets.  It's hard to believe how much they have grown since we saw them last. 


Brian and Katherine

Uncle Bill

 Uncle Kerry

My mom posing with my Aunt Stevie (on the right) and her sweet sister 

My beautiful cousin, Casey, and I took a moment to pose for the camera in all our sweatiness---whoo!!--did I mention it was hot outside!  I was about ready to dive in the pool to cool off.  

It was so great getting to see Casey and her husband Ethan.  They are amazing parents to their six children.  You can learn more about their inspiring journey here -and- here.





We had a really nice time at the annual Memorial day party...and were so happy we were able to spend time with family and friends on this special holiday.  A big thank you to Uncle Bill and Aunt Stevie for all their hard work.  They are amazing hosts and know how to throw one heck of a party!  :-)


By the end, as the sun began to settle in the evening, we sadly had to say our good-byes to our loved ones which is always the hardest part. Noah and his cousins especially struggle with having to leave each other.  He and Ava kept running back over to each other before we put the kids in the cars to give one another one last hug.  There were about 5 of those "one last" hugs.  It was so precious.

You can see more pics here from Uncle Bill's annual Memorial Day party.


Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and saying HI!
    You blog like me!...Lots and lots of pictures. Love it!

    Your mom is a beautiful lady. I love her smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. My kitty died about 6mo. ago. Seeing your kitty I want to get a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun!!! One day, I want to be the person with the lake house who hosts the huge party every year....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day!! How lucky for you to have a great place like that to visit

    ReplyDelete