3.05.2012

Our fancy date.

31af804a64cb11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7
(the hubby likes sparkling mineral water --or as they refer to it in Europe..."with gas"...and I prefer the flat water)

All last week, I was really (REALLY) looking forward to the weekend.

It was one of those busy and tiring weeks for our family....you know where everyone seems to have something going on (what feels like) every minute....of every day.  Lots of commitments and I was really feeling pulled in every direction.  So naturally, I was looking forward to us having some fun celebrating Jody's birthday on Friday and then having some down time on Saturday to relax as a family.  

I decided earlier in the week to surprise Jody for his birthday by taking him to eat at one of his favorite restaurants here in town.  It's a fine dining, European restaurant--one of the nicest we have around these parts. It reminds me of a few of the restaurants we used to enjoy dining at a few years ago when we lived in Virginia.  After making our reservations earlier in the week, I also reminded Ms. Ann Marie (Noah's favorite babysitter) to come over around 6pm to keep watch of our little man.   So when 6 pm finally rolled around on Friday and soon after Anne Marie's arrival,  Jody and I quietly snuck out the back door to head to Bistro M just in time to make our 6:30 reservations.

I didn't tell Jody where we were going until we were in the car and pulling out of the driveway.  I could tell he was pleased when I told him because he got the biggest grin on his face.  It's a very quaint little restaurant and super romantic (at least we think so)...the perfect place to celebrate the hubby's special day.    

ef6a5c7c64cb11e1989612313815112c_7

eeacb73864c811e180c9123138016265_7
Our appetizer....shrimp with creamy pesto sauce.  

We also enjoyed soup after our appetizer....
Jody ordered a creamy garlic, potato soup and I had the french onion soup (probably the best I've ever had) with a roasted cheese crouton.  

5dcc21f064d111e1b9f1123138140926_7

67917d9264d211e180c9123138016265_7
He was sporting his new "casual" watch that Noah and I gave him earlier that morning for his birthday.  I had his initials engraved on the back, so he really liked that special little touch.  

76f5904464d111e1a87612313804ec91_7

9c1aeef264cf11e1989612313815112c_7

d2b5685464d211e1b9f1123138140926_7

e4ea09a664cf11e18bb812313804a181_7
Hands down probably the best ribeye steak we've ever eaten. We both ordered our own (Jody likes his a bit more red in the center than I do) and we chowed down.

99f80e8664d211e19e4a12313813ffc0_7

e8bd6a7464d311e180d51231380fcd7e_7

Chef Marcel came out after our meal to personally deliver this birthday dessert and to wish Jody a Happy Birthday. I always think this is such a nice touch when a chef does this.  Our dessert was this wonderful whole fried apple with a gourmet vanilla and caramel sauce.  It came with a homemade vanilla bean ice cream on the side.  So yummy!  Afterwards, on the drive home we both agreed how much fun we had and how fabulous the food was on our fancy date to Bistro M.  I just wish it didn't have to end.  ;-) 

We have found that a night "out on the town" and getting some time to ourselves for our date night is always good for the soul and our marriage.  We've definitely learned these past ten years of being married that it's all too easy once you've been married for a while to get "bogged down" in the day to day...hum...drum routine of "life" and if we're not careful....
if we don't make our marriage and relationship a priority...
it's easy to find ourselves in a rut where we take each other for granted.
That's not a fun (or a healthy) place to be.  

So, our Friday night date nights have become something we both cherish now.  It's our cherished time together as husband and wife.   We make it a priority in our marriage to take this time each week to spend together--just the two of us.  And it has blessed our marriage in so many ways.

Often times, our date consists of dinner and a movie, or if we feeling we need to be tight with our budget, we sometimes simply head out for some hot chocolate followed by a trip to Barnes and Noble Bookstore where we just relax on the couches, talk, read for a while and maybe buy a one or two new books to bring home.

Other times we may just go out for dessert and chit-chat and then to mix it up, sometimes we go on day dates.... golfing or bowling together.  It all just depends what mood we're in and what time we can schedule our babysitter....but however we can, we try to mix it up to keep it fun and interesting.  

While we were eating dinner this past Friday for our fancy date, we had so much fun laughing and joking around about all sorts of things.  We reminisced about the fact that we have now celebrated ten years of birthdays together.  It's hard to believe how fast these past ten years have flown by.  At one point as I sat there and listened to Jody share one of his animated stories (he's quite the storyteller if you don't know him) -- I had this overwhelming sense of love and appreciation wash over me for my hubby.  I felt this deep sense of gratitude for this special, caring and attentive man sitting in front of me.  A renewed feeling seemed to swell in my heart, and a clear thought reminding me of how fortunate I am to be married to my best friend---someone I've known my entire life--since I was a little girl....someone who knows me probably better than I know myself.  What a blessing and comfort that is to me.

Our time spent together on our fancy date this past weekend was most definitely a winner .... one I hope to always cherish.

And, if you're ever in the Rio Grande Valley visiting, and you happen to be in the mood for some fine dining, you gotta try Bistro M....you won't regret it.  Chef Marcel and his peeps will take care of you. ;-)


XOXO,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment