Guest Poster....my hubby.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Flower....A Simple, Special Gift


{Photo Source click here}

      Recently, while eating at a local restaurant with my family, in walked an elderly woman using a rolling walker, and a husband on her arm, to steady her step. As they navigated the way to their table, she stopped at ours and gently placed her hand on my wife’s shoulder.  With a twinkle in her eye, she asked if my wife would like a flower. Jennifer said she’d love one. Opening the little box attached to her rolling walker, she reached in and pulled a beautiful hibiscus flower and gave it to Jennifer. A warm smile, really more of a glow, framed her face, “These beautiful flowers grow at our house. I hate to see them go to waste.” We thanked her for sharing and she and her husband made the way to their table.

      Simple as it was, I strongly felt the Spirit of the Lord. I do not know her name, her faith or her age. But I know she has a love and respect for nature, an eye for beauty, concern for her fellow man, and a love for the Gifts of God. And gratefully, she is kind and thoughtful enough to share it with others.

"A bell is no bell till you ring it,
A song is no song till you sing it,
And love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay—
Love isn’t love till you give it away."

-lines from “Sixteen, Going on Seventeen,” from The Sound of Music.

flower

I am truly grateful for life experiences such as these....

~ Jody
(a/k/a "The Hubby" around these parts)

1 comment:

  1. a weepy mess over here, y'all.
    lovely, tender story. those lines from that song...favorite.

    happy sunday! xo

    ReplyDelete