Our special kitty-cat, Lola....

Friday, January 13, 2012

IMG_2486

IMG_2490

IMG_2491

IMG_2495

IMG_2499

IMG_2503

These two are the best of friends.  
They share snacks together - (against my better judgment). ;-)
They cuddle and fall asleep together every night.
They watch cartoons and Disney movies under a blanket or man-made tent of pillows.
They hide under the bed from Mommy--the giggles and purring usually give them away.
Yes, these two have a special bond and for that, I am grateful.

I was thinking as I uploaded these photos the other night, how thankful I am for our family pet.  I adopted Lola from a Humane Society shelter last spring.  When I came across her picture after perusing their website, I couldn't get her sweet face out of my head.  I thought about her for a few days--even tried to put her out of my mind, but eventually went back to the website and looked at her picture again. I pondered the idea of having a family pet again.  We knew we didn't want a dog again at this time in our lives, but I really felt that Noah needed a pet to play with and well, selfishly, I missed having a kitty-cat run around the house.  And for some odd reason, this specific kitty-cat seemed to have a hold of my heart.  I then decided if I were going to adopt her, I would need to do some wrangling and begging with my hubby to persuade him to agree to it.  He, by the way, was not too keen on us getting an indoor pet. Thankfully, after much discussion, he finally agreed to us adopting a kitty-cat.  The next day I phoned the shelter to ask if she was still available for adoption--and happily grinned from ear to ear when I heard that in fact she was.  I then told them that I wanted an appointment to come and see her that day.

 I hopped in my car after that fateful phone call and drove over an hour to the shelter to meet Lola for the first time.  When I arrived, the shelter workers let me hold her in a room for 5 minutes and the entire time, she cuddled and nestled in my arms.  I noticed she was very skinny and her hair was falling out in droves.  The worker explained to me how she was only a year old and that an elderly couple had her since she was a kitten and just couldn't care for her any longer.  It was obvious to me after holding her that she had been an indoor kitty-cat and was used to being held a lot.  The stress of now having to live in a small, confined cage must have been the cause of her weight and hair loss.  It was really sad.  I then learned that she had been at the shelter for more than 90 days and per shelter policy, if someone didn't adopt her soon, they were going to have to put her to down.  I remember thinking to myself---how in the world has someone not already adopted this sweet, beautiful kitty.  And then almost immediately, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was meant to come to our home.  That was why she was still there and had not been adopted.  Yes, I know---it sounds a bit corny, but I had this peaceful assurance rush over my heart that I was supposed to adopt her that day.  Looking back, I think the Lord must have known I needed this assurance--especially since I had convinced my hubby that we needed a family pet again and oh my goodness, if after all of that and I got us a dud, I would have never heard the end of it!!   But I knew in my heart that there was something different about Lola--something that would make her just the right fit for our family. And so I told the shelter I wanted her.  I signed the paperwork and took her home with me that day.  And I'm happy to say that from the moment she first walked through the doors of our home, she has held a special place in our hearts.  Yes, even the hubby's heart, too.  :-)

If you are a pet lover, then you will understand these feelings.

 As she purred and cuddled in the bed next to the hubby and I last night (our usual nightly routine after getting little man down for bed) we watch the ten o'clock news,  the hubby commented as he rubbed Lola's chin and she purred loudly, "Girl...you came at just the right time to our little family."

I smiled and thought to myself after hearing this, "She sure did...she was a gift from above for all of us."  
 I know it sounds corny, but I sincerely feel that way.

Most days, I enjoy my own special time with Lola during the day when it is just the two of us at home together.  I think she enjoys this quiet time, too.  Whether I am folding laundry, doing the dishes or working at the computer --she is never far away.  Unlike many kitty-cats that just come out of their hiding places when they need something, she's never been a fidgety or selfish kitty-cat, instead....she is kind, patient, loving and enjoys being wherever we are in the house.

James Herriot, a Scottish writer, once said, "It is difficult to obtain the friendship of a cat. It is a philosophical animal...one that does not place its affections thoughtlessly."   Lola has placed her affections wholeheartedly with the three of us and we are so very happy to have her sweet spirit in our home.

And yes, as I wrap up typing this post, sweet Lola is sleeping and purring in my lap.  Pure peace and joy my friends to have her cuddled in my lap....almost like holding a newborn baby.  Almost.  :-)

XOXO....
  

Jennifer

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!