12.26.2011

Making cookies for Santa.

IMG_2968.JPG

The blessing of motherhood didn't come to me until the ripe old age of  34.   As many of you already know, it was by and through the wonderful gift of adoption that I actually became a mother.  Not the path  that I necessarily dreamed of as a young girl, but one that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world now. Motherhood is something that I have been pondering a great deal this Christmas season.  Without question, it is one of my greatest blessings and I thank Heavenly Father each and every day for this glorious and precious gift He has given me.  I have also been thinking of my own dear mother this holiday season and all the fun and special Christmas memories I have of her from my childhood.  She always made sure that Christmas was a magical time for our family---whether it be decorating our home beautifully for the holidays, hand sewing and beading Christmas stockings for each of her children, making dough ornaments for the tree with us or having fun with me and my brothers as we made cookies for Santa Claus.  What a tremendous blessing she has always been and continues to be in my life.

I don't know about you as a parent, but I literally have moments during the course of my day as a mother where I consciously think to myself when Noah does something so precious or says something really sweet or funny to me-- "Jennifer---you have got to remember this precious moment with him---yes---yes--I want to remember it forever!"  And then I almost instinctively find myself saying this quiet prayer in my heart..."Please, please dear Lord, sear this special moment into my memory so I may never forget it!"   Well, this Christmas weekend I had one of those special moments (actually several) with my dear son.  One in particular was the night we made cookies for Santa.  Noah had already had his evening bath---he was wrapped in his warm pajamas for the night and still had visible remnants of wet hair from his bath.  He was sitting on the couch with his Daddy watching a movie and I thought to myself---we're going to go ahead and make our cookies a day earlier.  And so despite the late hour and that it was soon to be past Noah (and Daddy's) early bedtime, I decided it was the perfect time for our little family to make our cookies for Santa Claus.

Noah was ecstatic when I announced that we were going to begin making Santa's cookies.  Oh how he loves Santa Claus this year!! He was so much more excited about Christmas this year than last year---and quite honestly, I didn't even think that was possible after seeing him last year.  There is a gleam in his eyes that just seems to emanate our house with pure joy and excitement---it is the most precious thing for Jody and I to see as his mommy and daddy.   And oh boy, he couldn't of been happier when I pulled out the Christmas cookie cutters and dough roller from the kitchen drawers.  I knew it was going to be special Christmas memory I would want to capture.  How right I was, what a memorable experience we had with our son this Christmas making cookies for dear old Santa Claus....a Christmas memory that I hope we all three will always love and cherish in our hearts.  

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg


IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2991.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3079.JPG


"Christmas - that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia. Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance - a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved." 
 ~Augusta E. Rundel


XO,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment