Sunday thoughts...Opportunities to Do Good.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

(link to video here)

The kindness shown to this family (by complete strangers) during their great time of need is so touching to me. This reminded me of something I read about in the news a few weeks ago.  Did you hear about this?  The motorcyclist in Utah who was trapped under a burning car.  Bystanders came together (again, complete strangers) and lifted the car so he could be pulled to safety.  You can see video footage of them lifting the car here.

It is always humbling to see people from all walks of life and differing faiths join together in a concerted effort to help their fellow man.  It makes me think this is all part of God's plan...when we as human beings are allowed by a loving God to suffer terrible trials and difficulties (either individually or collectively), these are often the moments that teach us the most.  They are what unite us together as human beings.  In essence, our hearts become knitted together as one--full of charity and love.  Isn't this how we become more like Christ?

So this week, I've decided to challenge myself (and you, too) to look for opportunities to do good.  To not be so focused on "me" and the struggles or challenges I (or you) are experiencing at this time.  But instead, sincerely look for ways to bless the life of a family member, a friend and yes, even a complete stranger.  And then if you feel it fitting, consider sharing your experience via your blog with your readers. 

I know in my heart that life can be so much sweeter and meaningful when we forget ourselves and focus on making a difference in someone else's life for good.  


"Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love."

 - "Have I Done Any Good?", LDS Hymns, no. 223

Many blessings!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. wow! Thank you for sharing that video, and your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video didn't load on my computer... but I think I get your point. :0) Looking outside ourselves and finding ways to bless others is a lovely challenge! Thanks for the encouragment. There really IS a lot of beauty in the world!

    ReplyDelete