Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Meatloaf Sensation in a Crockpot

I recently tried a new meatloaf recipe and it was a hit with my boys.  I've decided to try and make at least one crockpot recipe a week.  Sundays seem to be the best day  because I can throw everything in it early in the morning before we leave for church and when we get home, lunch is all ready to go.  

This particular meatloaf recipe caught my eye because it has two ingredients I love....hot salsa and taco seasoning. This was my first time to make meatloaf in a crockpot and let me just say, I'm now a big fan of this method.  As we all know, meatloaf can have a tendency to come out of the oven tasting dry--you won't have that problem using your crockpot.  Oh my goodness, so moist and very tasty!
 

If you'd like to try this recipe out, here's what you'll need:

2 1/2 lb. ground beef 
1/2 of jar of salsa
1 pkg. of dry taco seasoning (divided)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup of bread crumbs
12-oz. of shredded Mexican cheese
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

 Directions on how to make....

You'll want to combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl.  Only use half of your package of taco seasoning in the mixture and then set aside the other half .  Shape into a loaf and then sprinkle over the top once you place in your crockpot.

You'll want to let it cook on High for 5-6 hours -OR- 8-10 hours on Low.

 For a great side dish, I like to make one of our favorite potato dishes.  To make these tasty potatoes, I slice two baking potatoes into small chunks. (Two potatoes is just the right amount for our family of three).

I then drizzle some olive oil over them...just enough to moisten the potatoes.

And then, I add the most important ingredient, Terry's Seasoning.  We use it on practically everything (i.e. eggs, grilled meat of all sorts, sauteed bell peppers).  Since you can't buy this stuff in stores,  the hubby calls and orders a box usually once a year. You have to buy it in bulk from the distributor. See the phone number on the bottle below if you'd like to order yourself a box. 



I cover the potatoes thoroughly with the seasoning and stir well in the pan.

And then, pop them in the oven to bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

The last 5 minutes of baking the potatoes, I sprinkle cheddar cheese over them and let it melt. 

And our meatloaf and potatoes are ready to chow down on....YUM-EE!!!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I just used a crock pot for the first time - and love it. Can't wait to try this --- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having beef tips tonight! 1 can of coke, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, pepper. Large package of stew meat. In crockpot at 7:00 a.m. on low and ready by supper! Minute rice or regular cooked rice goes great, but you could also have noodles with it.

    ReplyDelete