Breakfast Casserole...A Family Tradition.

Friday, October 7, 2011

I thought I'd share a recipe that years ago became a family tradition in our home. Many of you may already have this recipe, but I thought it was definitely worth sharing on my blog in the event you don't have this one. I made it this past weekend and Jody and Noah gobbled it down.  

It is a cherished recipe for me because it reminds me of home and my childhood. Don't you just love those kind of recipes? It's amazing how our sense of smell and taste can stir up so many warm, fuzzy and cherished memories from our past.

In 1982, Brookshire's grocery store published a recipe in our hometown newspaper and it caught my mom's attention. Let's see, I would have been 10 years old back then...my goodness how time flies!!  Mom clipped it out and eventually gave this recipe a try .  It was an instant hit with our family!  Even better, it was a super-duper easy way for mom to have a warm, filling breakfast waiting for her family when we woke up on Christmas morning and better yet--she didn't even have to lift a finger on the holiday morning to make it, other than turning on the oven and popping it in to bake.  The key is...you make it the night before and let it chill overnight.

Breakfast Casserole quickly became a staple in our home every year for Christmas mornings and other special holidays.   It still is to this day---Christmas morning would not be the same without it!   I have carried on the tradition with my own family.  My husband (along with my entire extended family, i.e. brothers, sister-in-laws, nieces, nephews, etc.) absolutely love this breakfast dish. I think you will, too.

Here are the ingredients you'll need:

1 lb. sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
6 slices bread, crusts removed (white or wheat bread will work)
3 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
5 eggs
2 c. Half/Half
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard (optional)

Directions:

 Thoroughly cook and brown the sausage.

While the sausage is cooking, lay your bread out in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.  You can remove the crust if you like or not...either way is fine.

Butter your bread.

Drain your sausage.

Sprinkle cooked, drained sausage over the buttered bread.  Thoroughly cover the bread.


Top  with cheese.


Combine the remaining ingredients together...


Beat together until blended well.

Pour over sausage mixture.

Spread well using your spatula.

Cover with foil and chill overnight.

When you wake in the morning, set the oven to 350 degrees and allow the dish to bake for 40 to 50 minutes.  This recipe yields 8 servings.

Sidenote:  Notice my written directions on the foil...that is for my dear hubby in the event he wakes up before me and wants to go ahead and place it in the oven.  On Sunday mornings, he has to wake up really early and get to church for before 7am.  Since I like to sleep in a little bit later on those mornings, I simply write the temp and time on the foil for him so he can go ahead and pop it in the oven and eat before he heads out the door.  :-)

Tip:  I usually take the foil off the last 5 minutes and let it finish baking the top real well before taking it out of the oven.