Kitchen time: Homemade {rich} chocolate brownies.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

IMG_8734

I'm so tired of the same 'ole Betty Crocker(esque) boxed brownie mix that I always buy from the grocery store.   I found a new recipe for homemade chocolate brownies this week and decided to give it a whirl.  They were a hit with my boys (especially the frosting), so I thought I'd pass it on if you are like me and just plain tired of those boxed brownie mixes.

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 butter, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
3 tbsp. baking cocoa
3 tbsp. butter, melted
2 tbsp. warm water
1 1/2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar


Directions:

1.  In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Beat in butter.  Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.

2.  Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.

3.  For frosting, combine the cocoa and butter.  Combine the water with the cocoa mixture.  Stir in sugar until smooth--it will be really dry at first, but keep stirring until smooth.  Frost brownies once cool.



IMG_8698

IMG_8700

IMG_8703

IMG_8702

IMG_8708

IMG_8715


IMG_8717

My square baking dish has gone missing, so we had to just use a round cake pan instead. 
IMG_8721

While the brownies were cooling on the rack, I whipped up the homemade frosting...
IMG_8728

Someone was getting very anxious waiting for the brownies to cool.  He's like his mama...patience is not a trait either one of us possess.
IMG_8726

Once cooled, we frosted those babies right up and then sliced to eat.
IMG_8732

So yummy!

IMG_8697

I have the best helper in the kitchen!  We are a great team...especially when it comes to baking sweet treats.  :-)

XOXO...

Jennifer

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!