Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday thoughts...Road map to happiness.


No matter what our specific faith or religion may be, we can all learn and grow from each other as human beings and the individual journeys we experience here in mortality. 

 The husband and I have been talking about this topic a lot here lately.  We see so many of our friends who are struggling to find real happiness.  Too often, the world's prescription for happiness is primarily worldly success-- the size of our bank accounts, the clothing we wear, the cars we drive, the house that we live in and the friends we associate with.  Sadly, all too often this type of belief system falls short and we are left struggling and wondering what went wrong.   This type of worldly happiness is fleeting--that new car will someday get old and break down, the stylish clothes will go out of style all too soon and those friends... well, they may not always be there for you when you need them the most.

It concerns me how distorted our world has become in our view of what real happiness is and how we should go about getting it.  More specifically, my concern is for my son and what the world is teaching him.  Just this past week, it seemed as if anywhere I clicked on the internet, I was bombarded with news of how a certain celebrity spent 30 million dollars on her wedding; however, you didn't hear much about the recent report that 29,000 children died of starvation in Somalia in the past 90 days.  I doubt the families of these lost children in Somalia are concerned about how much money a celebrity spent on her wedding.

At church today, a woman shared how her 3 year old nephew was discovered non-responsive in his home and rushed to the hospital.  The parents of this precious child have just received news that he has been diagnosed with two different types of Leukemia.  He will now have to face consecutive treatments of chemotherapy at 3 years old...it is heartbreaking to hear this news.  I was thinking to myself as I listened to this woman share her story, I doubt that the parents of this young boy are worrying much today about the type of car they drive, the stylish clothes they should be wearing, the next social event they will be attending or the size of their bank account when compared to others. 

While my life and that of my family's is not perfect--we have our own set of personal struggles that we face, and yet as a result-- great lessons are being learned along the way about where we can turn to find our greatest happiness.   I have learned {and am continually reminded} that all the material things in this world can never make me truly happy.  Yeah, they usually bring some sort of short term relief or happiness, but it's never lasting.  Never.  The only way to find that meaningful, long-lasting happiness we all yearn for--the kind of happiness that can transcend every personal trial, challenge, loss and disappointment we may face--comes only through our faith and belief in Jesus Christ and His teachings.  And continually striving daily to stay close to Him by living His commandments and reading the scriptures. For both the relationship with Him and feasting upon His words are what provide the road map to lasting happiness.

I had these thoughts and feelings swirling around in my heart and mind today as I listened to the lessons in Sunday School and felt I needed to record them so I can reflect on them at a later date.  :-) 


Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the child with Leukemia. I definitely don't think material things are concerning the parents either. I hope the child gets through it somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world is a scary place and I feel I have become so paranoid for my safety and for my loved ones, I hate having to live life in fear like that. Saying prayers for the young child.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ .. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign