8.11.2011

A special kitty-cat and random Life stuff...

Lola

This is Lola, our sweet kitty-cat. As you well may remember, we adopted our precious kitty-cat back in the spring. She has become a full-fledged, card carrying member of our family since then. As comfortable as she can be {as evidenced in the photos above} in our home. I couldn't be happier about this.  Noah LOVES, LOVES, LOVES his kitty-cat.  He plays with her every. single. day---he sings to her, tells her {very animated} stories, she even let's him push her around the house on top of his big 18-wheeler truck/trailer.  He really likes it when Lola cuddles next to him on the couch while he watches one of his cartoons. It is the most precious thing to watch the two of them together.  And Lola, my goodness--she is super patient with her 4 year old "human" brother.  Ever so patient.  In fact, freakishly patient given the fact that she is a cat.  The other day Noah got some new airplanes at the store--a reward for jumping off the diving board at his swim class ;-).   When we returned home from the store, I found him over in the corner of the den sitting with Lola-- where I overheard him telling her about each of the planes.  He was patiently and lovingly explaining to his "feline" sister how each plane worked, what color they were and how cool they were.  I just had to grin when I watched this whole scene play out.

noah and lola

Jody likes to joke that she is really a dog instead of a cat-- he is so amazed at how attached she is to me. Her actions resemble dog-like behavior in the way that they attach themselves to their owner.  I always remind him this is probably because I was the one who saved her.  The shelter was about to euthanize her, and I'm guessing she was most grateful for that fateful day when I walked into the Humane Society and took her home with me.  My husband isn't kidding though when he refers to her as a dog.  She literally follows me wherever I go in the house.  If I'm in the kitchen and I walk out to head to the laundry room, she follows me.  When I go in to shower, she stays by the door the entire time until I get out.  If I am on the computer at my desk, she is snuggled right next to me sleeping.  During the night, she sleeps by my side or down by my feet and then, if  I get up in the middle of the night to get something to drink or to go check on Noah, she hops up and follows me every step of the way.  Really weird, huh, for a cat?  That's what we think to.  But I'm not complaining...I love my trusty sidekick being nearby every day.  We have become the best of buddies. 

So where am I going with this.  I'm not really sure other than this.  I have a confession...on days like I am about to have today, I am envious of Lola, the kitty. Envious of her stress-free life. 

Tonight, I am hosting a Relief Society church event at my home for the ladies in my ward. I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I offered to host this--maybe a little "nutty" now that I'm rethinking it.  My hubby had vein surgery earlier this week on both of his legs, so we are all pretty worn out around here.  The nights have been the hardest for him since his procedure.  He is terribly uncomfortable because it is really difficult for him to sleep with all the bandaging on his legs and then having to keep them propped up on pillows--well forget it, who can sleep comfortably that way??!!  But we have to be real careful and follow the doctor's orders otherwise he could develop a blood clot.  I've been up with him on and off throughout the past 2 nights---helping him readjust his pillows, making sure his legs are propped up and basically waking every hour when he stirs worrying if he is okay.  I worry about him so because he is in essence, "burning the candle at both ends" these days with all of his work and church commitments.  I worry that all of this is going to take a toll on his body if he's not careful.   I can tell this week he is just feeling really poopy all the way around--even though he won't readily admit it.

The good news is he gets all the bandaging removed from his legs tomorrow (which currently runs from his feet all the way to the top of his thighs).  I'm guessing (hoping) after tomorrow he will be able to sleep better through the night. Fingers crossed.

So this morning, after I helped the hubby get dressed for work in his suit, tie, dress socks and dress shoes (which let me just say, is a feat in of itself with all the bandaging) .  I gave him a big hug, told him I loved him and reminded him to keep his legs propped up at work today per the doctor's orders before he walked out the door to work--poor thing.   Afterwards, I was sitting at my desk...writing my TO-DO list.  I felt a little overwhelmed with all the "stuff" I've got to get done before the shin-dig tonight. Honestly, what I really want to do is just crawl back into my bed and hide under the covers.  Do you ever feel this way??  I hate when I do.

I was thinking to myself as I fought off the urge to just take it to the bed...it sure would be nice to be Lola today.  No commitments...no deadlines...no worries.  I could just curl up and take it easy all day. 

No such luck, I'm afraid...life wasn't meant to be easy, was it?  But thankfully, it's always comforting to be reminded that we are never left to walk down the road of life alone.
"God walks with us...He scoops us up in his His arms or simply sits with us in silent strength until we cannot avoid the awesome recognition that yes, even now, He is here."~Gloria Gaither

And so, I'm off to run my bazillion errands, clean the house and get set up for the Relief Society get-together... just as soon as I finish clicking the "publish" button on this post.

Over and out...

Click...  ;-)


Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I am totally a cat person, so I completely GET your love for Lola. She's adorable, and kinda looks like a childhood cat of mine, who we called Peep. :0)

    And yes, this mom definitely has days when I want to crawl back in bed! You're soooo not alone on that. Hope your day gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic story! Lola is a beautiful kitty, and it's so cute that your son is so in love with her. :) Makes my heart smile!

    My cat, Murphy, is like a dog too. It's crazy how much he "talks" and follows my family around the house.

    ReplyDelete