Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

{Homemade} Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.

This weekend we took it easy and stayed at home as much as we could. The hubby is still feeling a bit under the weather from his vein surgery last week, so we took advantage of this time to relax at home while he is still recovering.

I spent what felt like a lot of time in the kitchen making meals and doing dishes. I enjoy the meal making, but definitely not the cleaning dishes part.  Argh!!! My favorite is making homemade bread for my boys. You can find that recipe here.  The house just smells so wonderful and fragrant when you have bread cooking in the oven.  In fact, I'm smiling right now just thinking about it.

And, I thought I'd share the new sweet-treat recipe I tried out last night that I found over at Brown Eyed Baker. You can find it here. Jody's favorite sweet snack is Reese's Peanut Butter cups.  Since he was feeling a little blue,  I decided I'd make some of these for him  Thought they might lift his spirits.

The recipe was super easy to follow. I just made a few changes at the end.

Here are the must-have ingredients:

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups powder sugar
4 cups milk chocolate chips (two 11.5-oz. bags)
1/4 cup vegetable shortening


IMG_7912
Dish out your peanut butter in a medium saucepan.

IMG_7914
Then add your butter and brown sugar and warm over medium heat until completely melted and starting to bubble. 

IMG_7916
Stir constantly.

IMG_7917
Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar a 1/4 cup at a time.

IMG_7918
Stir until completely combined with the peanut butter mixture. Set aside and let cool.

IMG_7919
In the mean time, melt the chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave in 30-second intervals, until completed melted.  Stir after each burst in the microwave.

IMG_7925
Line a mini-muffin tin pan with paper liners.

IMG_7927
Use a heaping tablespoon and spoon melted chocolate into the bottom of each lined muffin cup.  I'm not gonna lie...this part gets pretty messy and well, it's very tempting to want to lick the spoon! ;-) 

IMG_7931
Use a heaping teaspoon to scoop out the peanut butter mixture and roll into a ball.  Flatten ball into a disk and place on top of each chocolate lined muffin tin.

IMG_7932
Then go back to your bowl of chocolate and take heaping tablespoon to add more melted chocolate on top and around each peanut butter patty.  If your chocolate has started to get hard again, just pop it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds or so to re-melt.

Here's where I waivered from the recipe. It calls for chilling the chocolate and the peanut butter balls separately and then completing by combining and adding chocolate on top. I went ahead and did all three layers (chocolate on bottom, peanut butter disk in the middle and then top layer of chocolate) at once to save time.

Lastly--place the cups in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes and then, VOILA...they are ready to serve! 

This recipe takes about an hour (total) and yields about 3 dozen peanut butter cups. My approach went by a tad bit quicker because I didn't refrigerate the mixtures separately.

IMG_7939

IMG_7928

Little Man was super excited when his Mommy pulled them out of the refrigerator to serve.  And of course, the hubby was grinning from ear to ear, too!

peanut butter cup pic

YUMM-EEEE!!!!  My only complaint about this recipe was that the peanut butter mixture was a tad-bit too dry.  I'm thinking it was probably the generic, HEB peanut butter I used or maybe I heated it a bit too long.

Overall, this sweet-treat recipe was a hit with my family. 

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet surprise for your man! Looks delicious! :)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely have to try these...my husband adores RPC's too :) AND my kids. They'd love to help me make them!

    Great pics btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband will FLIP OUT when i make these.
    thanks, girl! xo

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ .. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign