Friday, June 17, 2011

Childhood moments.


IMG_6090
"Childhoods never last. But everyone deserves one."

~Wendy Dale, Avoiding Prison and Other Noble Vacation Goals

As a mom, there is just something heartwarming and gratifying when I see my son play with his friends. I absolutely love to hear the giggling, laughing, and screaming sounds as they chase each other around the house and backyard. Inevitably, memories I cherish from my own childhood seem to come flooding back to mind as I watch my son play with his friends. Riding our bikes through the Patterson edition in my hometown of Gilmer, Texas with my friend Jana...playing dress up at my friend Leslie's house in her mom's closet--she had this one green flowery dress that I insisted on wearing every time (my next door neighbor before we moved to the country)...sleep overs with all my childhood friends...running through the pasture with my brothers chasing my grandad's cows...swimming for hours on end with my brothers out at the Gilmer Country Club pool and so, so many others come to mind.

Gone are those days sadly, but now I get to enjoy them from a different perspective, as a mom. I think because I am doing this mom "gig" later in life...in my late 30's, I have a greater appreciation for moments like we had this week during a playdate. I know that these innocent times like this with my son and his friends will be gone all too soon. In a matter of a few years, he will be a gangly teenager and most likely consider dressing up in play costumes, running through the sprinklers in the backyard and playing in the sandbox too child like and boring. It makes me sad to think how soon this day will come.

So for now, I am happy to enjoy moments like these with my little guy. I love the fact that he is enjoying his childhood so much...and oh my goodness, my heart almost bursts with joy when I think how grateful I am for this time in my life to be a stay at home mom. It isn't always the most glorious job, yet it is the one that has been the most meaningful and rewarding in my life thus far. I am enjoying every moment with him and the opportunity I have to capture such precious moments as these.

IMG_6124

IMG_6115

IMG_6056

playmates

IMG_6059

IMG_6102

IMG_6076

IMG_6075

IMG_6077

IMG_6074

IMG_6073

IMG_6097

IMG_6093


"The young remember most deeply.... When we are old and failing, it is the memories of childhood which can be summoned most clearly."

~Dan Simmons, The Rise of Endymion


I hope that as parents, while in the midst of the hustle and bustle of lives, we remember to take time, slow down and look for those moments that matter most in our lives. And cherish them. By doing so, I believe we will have a greater perspective and appreciation for the many blessings we have been given.




XOXO...

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment