Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blog Tip: Change your URL to a Custom Domain name for CHEAP.

cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Cartoon by Dave Walker. Find more cartoons you can freely re-use on your blog at We Blog Cartoons.


If you are like me, I have been wanting for some time now to change my blog url to a custom domain name. I have been hesitant to do so mainly because I wasn't sure how difficult the transition would be and I just assumed it would be costly.

I recently learned how very simple and inexpensive it can actually be for a novice blogger like myself. The other day I was reading this article-- it details the process of how a graphic designer gave a blog facelift to a mom blogger. In addition to the new blog design created, the graphic designer explains how she changed her blogspot address to a custom url. After reading about this, I decided to go for it and transition to a custom url name for my own blog.


If you notice in your url window for my blog, it is now official....

What was once http://www.casamask.blogspot.com is now...

http://www.casamask.com


For just $10 a year, you can have your own custom domain name. If any of you are like me and have been wanting to make this change, but you're not sure how to go about it.... go here for the directions and a simple, step-by-step video to walk you through it.

It took my blog 3-4 days to make the full transition to my new .com address, however, the nice thing is your readers won't even notice that a change is happening...only you will. For me, the only real "kink" I noticed was my Google Connect Friends gadget stopped working. It was simple to fix. I just went into my Google Connect account, changed the blog address to my new custom domain name and reloaded the gadget to my blog sidebar and VOILA...all is working fine now.

Oh, and another nice touch.... you don't even have to notify your readers of the url change. Blogger has made it really simple for you...when a reader types in the old blogspot address, they will automatically be redirected to the new url address. SWEET!! ;-)

And there you have it my friends. A simple and CHEAP way to get your very own custom domain name for your lovely blog. Hope this is helpful....


XOXO...

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. You're so helpful, Jennifer! So you can still use all the blogger tools, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelly! And yes, to answer your question...as long as you purchase your domain name through Blogger (see the video I've linked to in this post), then nothing changes. Your platform will not change....it is still purely Blogger and everything will look and feel the same.

    ReplyDelete