Tuesday, March 22, 2011

FHE and an {Edible} Tower of Babel.

FHE- March '115

“How well are we feeding, nurturing, training, and exercising the spirits of our children? . . . Remember, eternity is now, not a vague, distant future. We prepare each day, right now, for eternal life.”

—Elder M. Russell Ballard


On Monday nights, we try our best each week to make this our Family Night at home. Or as is more commonly referred to in our faith as "Family Home Evening" (FHE). This is our special night together where we study a gospel topic and do other activities to help strengthen our family. You can learn more about its purpose here and here. And even though it's just the three of us, we have great fun together and draw closer to one another as we make this a priority each week.

In an attempt to "mix it up" each week and make it fun all the while still keeping it spiritual for our Little Man, I usually have to get resourceful and look for ideas online. Thank goodness for the internet!

Here are just a few sites I love to go to for FHE ideas:

Family Home Evening Spot

LDS Living Magazine

The Idea Door

Family Home Evening in a Snap

100+ Quick and Easy FHE Activities


We always eat dinner before our FHE activity. The Hubby typically doesn't get home from work until after 6:30 in the evening, so that gives me a bit more time in the afternoons after picking Little Man up from his pre-school to get dinner planned and prepared.

For our dinner this week, I picked up some Tilapia at the market and coated it with my homemade batter that the Hubby loves and fried it in some olive oil in a pan. For our side dishes...we had hominy with hoppin john's beans, a garden salad with red peppers and Italian vinaigrette.

FHE- March '11

After enjoying dinner together, we moved on to our FHE activity which included our dessert. ;-)

I chose this activity. To start it off, I shared the story of the Tower of Babel with Little Man. We shared with him a brief intro of what it was, we discussed the Brother of Jared and then explained how we get to heaven. We let him color for a few minutes on the Tower of Babel coloring sheet that comes with the online activity, but he was too distracted by all the bricks of brownies on the table to finish.

I moved the brownies and icing to the center of the table and explained to Little Man that we were going to make our own {edible} Tower of Babel. He was grinning from ear to ear! I explained how our challenge was to stack our bricks {brownies} and the mortar {icing} to build our tower as high as we could without it falling down.

And here is how our FHE activity played out....I hope the pictures depict how much fun we had making our own {edible} Tower of Babel.

FHE- March '111

IMG_3106

IMG_3112

IMG_3118

IMG_3120

Ooops!! Mommy dropped a big glob of icing on the table...Little Man did not like that. He said, "Mommy, you don't do it as good as Daddy and me."

Boo-hoo!!! You can see below my reaction to that...

IMG_3121

IMG_3122

FHE- March '112

FHE- March '113

We were able to make it to 7 bricks {brownies} high before it toppled over...of course Little Man loved watching it fall over.

FHE- March '114

I know with all my heart that FHE is a heaven inspired program. I am grateful that my dear parents took the time to do this in our home when I was little. They set the example for me and my brothers to carry this tradition on in our own families someday.

By setting aside time each week to spend together as a family and study gospel principles, I have seen and felt first-hand how it provides safety for our souls, reminds us of what is most important in this life and further deepens our bond as a forever family.

And yes, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there are those FHE's where it doesn't go as well as I had planned. There are those times when it feels more or less like a "tug-o-war" that begins and ends with a prayer...but hey, it always makes us chuckle in the end and provides precious memories to look back on someday and laugh about.

And that my friends is how we roll at Casa de Mask on Monday nights (well, most of them)...

XOXO...

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. what a fun idea! I will have to give this a whirl! FHE is definitely inspired and it does bring families closer together! My hubby works nights during the week so we do ours Sunday night and it works! It's a wonderful priority that we have! Love it!

    ReplyDelete