Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

What does Christmas mean to our children?


(pause the Christmas music playing in the left sidebar of this blog before playing video above)

"If we look for the good, we can see this time of year with new eyes-- perhaps even with the eyes of a child."

- Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Little Man came home with this sweet note for Santa Claus with a drawing of what he would like for Christmas.




We have it hanging on our refrigerator. I asked him as I was hanging his note, what exactly was it that he drew for Santa to bring him....his response, "A kitty cat". Hummm... I just smiled and looked back at his little drawing...I guess it does kind of resemble a kitty cat instead of a dog. The jury is still out on whether or not Little Man will be getting a real-life, breathing, furry, four pawed animal for Christmas. Santa Claus and I are going to have to discuss this one at length.

His little note got me thinking though ... There is no doubt, he is savoring every minute of our holiday preparations this year. It has been great fun to have him so involved and excited. He could hardly contain his excitement when we put up all our Christmas decorations around the house and in the evenings when we drive around and look at all the beautiful Christmas lights, he will yell out, "Look Mommy--they're so pretty!" Or last night he pointed to one house and commented on their lights, "They are gorgeous!" In the grocery store the other night, while Mommy was shopping and he rode in the cart, he enjoyed singing out loud the song, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"--it was precious. Yet as fun and special as all the moments are, I found myself thinking, "does my son understand the real meaning of Christmas?" I guess what I am trying to say is I feel a greater responsibility this year than in year's past to teach my son the real meaning of Christmas. At 4 years old, I believe he can grasp its deeper meaning. I am hopeful we can begin to plant a deep seed of gratitude in my son's heart for Jesus Christ--for His birth, His life, His ministry and the meaning of His death. I want him to know how deeply grateful his Daddy and I are for our Savior and all that He has done and continues to do for us.

I recently re-read with Little Man the story from Luke, Chapter 2, see here. When we finished, we looked at our nativity scene on the bookshelf and discussed that this is an example of what we read about. He seemed a bit more mesmerized with the Baby Jesus in our nativity scene after we read this story. I look forward to having more discussions with my little man about this special Biblical story as these next few weeks unfold to Christmas.


Jesus Birth Pictures, Images and Photos


Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way! I want my children to know, really know what Christmas is. This is a lovely post. I especially like the beautiful picture at the end. Gave me the goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ .. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign