11.12.2010

Sun Damage and DAILY Thanksgiving.

I couldn't sleep last night...I've had some things weighing on my mind.


I had a dermatologist appointment this week...two (2) biopsies, one removed from my back and another from my nose. Yep, that's right...my nose! Very unpleasant experience I might add having to get a shot on the tip of your nose (to numb it) before slicing some skin off. At 38, I am covered in moles that have come about because of sun damage. And, I will forever have to see my dermatologist every 6 months to have all of the sun damage from my teens and 20's examined and yes...I'm sure, continue to have more moles and sun spots removed.



That elusive tan you work so hard to keep people....it's NOT WORTH IT !!!

The really shocking thing to me is that I quit tanning beds and sunbathing over 12 years ago and just now the effects are beginning to rear their ugly heads.

The nurse was laughing at me when she walked into the room with the rather large syringe and an even larger needle...my mouth literally fell open. As she approached me with the syringe to numb it before the doctor began cutting, I said,
"Whoa...whoa...wait a minute, you mean to tell me you don't have some type of topical numbing agent to rub on my nose before you stick that thing in me??!!"


She just smiled and said, "No ma'am..."

Yikes!! Yes my friends...it was very painful. Not the actual cutting part, just the numbing portion of it. I about squeezed my poor husband's hand off!!

And then, the Hubby, he had to have some spots on his face frozen off. Ouch! I don't know which is more painful...the freezing or slicing. The jury is still out on that one.

But now the really hard part...the waiting game---waiting for the results to find out if either of my biopsies are cancerous. This isn't the first time though I've had to go through this. I've had several dysplastic moles removed over the years (so I am used to getting cut on) but they tell me since my grandmother survived melanoma, this increases my chances of getting skin cancer unfortunately.

Oh if I could only go back in time and counsel the younger Jennifer to STAY OUT OF THE SUN -and- those gosh awful TANNING BEDS!! Sun bathing will definitely come back to haunt you one day...I just pray my day won't be sooner than later.


So hence my insomnia last night---after I woke up at 3 am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep...I finally just rolled on out of bed. Both Little Man and the Hubby were cuddled and snoozing it away in our bed. It was really cute but a little frustrating at the same time because I wasn't able to sleep so peacefully with them.

And what did I do with my bout of insomnia you might ask....

I watched on Netflix episodes of this show...

I worked on editing some photos...then...

I watched this video:


(pause music in sidebar of blog before playing the video)

And then I read this talk.

I don't know about you, but all too often I think we focus on the things that we don't have instead of focusing on all the things that we do have. This week I've been reminded of this. I was humbled beyond words having to have two biopsies....it quickly put things into perspective.

Or for example in the grocery line the other day, I found myself coveting this gorgeous Latino woman's hair in front of me...she had the most beautiful, long, thick, wavy hair...I mean seriously--her hair was straight out of a Pantene commercial. Little Man even reached out to touch her hair while we were standing in the grocery line. ha...ha...!! And there I stood with my fine, limp, short hair just dreaming...what if...what if I had her hair?? Hummm....

But the wishing, wanting, dreaming for things we can't have doesn't do us much good-does it??. This I know.

This is where having the right attitude comes into play...like I have said before in one of my previous posts...our attitude is a choice.

I am learning daily that life is most definitely sweeter and more joyful when we have an attitude of gratitude.


Which leads me to my own "daily" Thanksgiving thought for this day....I'm so thankful for a loving companion who listened to me pour my heart out this morning about some things that have been weighing on me. Disappointments, frustrations and fears I've had that are just simply part of life. Yet, all things that in the grand scheme of things (which I know) pale in comparison to many other people out there who are facing much greater trials in their lives than me.



"When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. …

So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end."
(Hymns, 1985, no. 241.)


When you are weighed down with worries, stress and life in general...work your hardest to choose an attitude of gratitude. Take note of all the many blessings (great and small) you have in your life. Because I promise...when you strive harder to do this...you will see all the ways that God is loving on YOU and blessing YOU...


XOXO...

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer~ you are an inspiration. I will pray that your results are clean, not only from this recent doctors appointment, but in the ones to come. Life is full of challenges but without them we wouldn't be who we are. I love who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I love your posts. They always help me remember what is important in my life as well. I will be praying for you that everything comes back clean for your biopsies. And just so you know, I have always looked up to you. Even though you went to college when I was pretty young, you've impacted my life in ways you can't even imagine.

    (And a fun fact, the first guy in the video is in my ward! His wife is my visiting teacher. She's awesome. And so is he.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tabitha...love you girl...thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.

    @L...that means the world to me for you to share that. You are a special young woman...you always have been. And how neat about you knowing the guy in the video. What a small world. :-)

    ReplyDelete