Sunday, November 14, 2010

The still, small voice.



“The Holy Ghost speaks with a voice that you feel more than you hear. … while we speak of ‘listening’ to the whisperings of the Spirit, most often one describes a spiritual prompting by saying, ‘I had a feeling'this voice of the Spirit speaks gently, prompting you what to do or what to say, or it may caution or warn you.”

- Boyd K. Packer

Today at church the children put on their annual Primary Sacrament presentation. Little Man had a small speaking part in it. He was so excited to be on the stage and to have the chance to share his testimony.

His speaking part was this...

"I know Heavenly Father loves us because of kisses..."

Apparently he came up with this on his own. ;-)

What a sweet and tender testimony this was from our 4 year old son. I'll have to admit though...his Daddy and I were a little nervous before the meeting began because at the rehearsal yesterday, he was a ball of energy and could not sit still. We made several trips to the bathroom to have "the talk". We talked with him about sitting reverently and quietly at church, but even after all the lecturing, we weren't sure how he would do today.

About 20 minutes into the program today, he began to wiggle. That was a record for him though. ;-) Thankfully, the Primary presidency had strategically placed his Sunbeam class in their seats on the stage. Little Man had a little girl on either side of him to help keep him still and then a teacher on either side as well. The Little girls did a great job reigning him in when he'd begin to get rowdy and then his sweet teachers had snacks ready to give when he was getting restless. All the help was needed in the end. I'm so grateful to his sweet teachers for loving on him and being so patient with him. At one point, he gave both of the little girls sitting on either side of him a peck on the cheek... of course we were cracking up watching this all play out in the audience. He definitely loves the ladies!

Oh my goodness...our little guy is bursting with joy and energy...the entire church congregation gets to see this on a regular basis each Sunday!! :-)

I must say though as I was sitting in the audience today watching him, I couldn't help but think how blessed I am to be his mother. My heart swells with deep gratitude and love for him. How blessed I am to share this journey of life with him and watch him grow up in the gospel. I also found myself thinking of all the special people who played a role in helping us find our son through the gift of adoption.

My thoughts were specifically on a dear woman by the name of Jeannine who by all accounts.... heeded the promptings of the still, small voice over 4 years ago while our birthmother was pregnant with our son.

We had a lesson in church today on the Gifts of the Holy Ghost and I had the opportunity to share an experience of how my life has been blessed through this special gift.



I thought I would share it here....

Our birthmother was not of the same faith as the hubby and me; however, she became associated with our church when her mother joined several years ago. Soon after our birthmom found out she was pregnant, a dear sister (Jeannine) in her mother's ward befriended her. She, at the time, was serving as a liason for our church and birthmothers in her area. It was about this time that our birthmom was introduced to LDS Family Services (our adoption agency). Because our birthmother did not have adequate transportation or means to travel to the Dallas LDS Family Services office, Jeannine would drive her (a 2 hour round trip) once a month...sometimes twice a month....to meet with her adoption counselor and look at adoptive couple's profiles.

We had the pleasure of meeting Jeannine the same day we met our birthmother for the first time. This was also the same day we received the amazing news that she had selected us to be Little Man's parents. What a glorious day that was!!

On this special day, we had a few moments to speak with Jeannine. She shared with us how this decision had all come about. We learned in our conversation with her that our birthmother was actually working with 2 different adoption agencies and had looked at hundreds of adoptive couple profiles through the process. She received our profile in March of that year and for some reason, she felt prompted to hold on to it. Over the next few months after she received our profile, she continued to look at other prospective couple profiles during this time. Yet, as she and Jeannine both told us...she kept coming back to our profile each time. It was some time around June, and her due date was late August, so as you can imagine, she began to feel the urgency in making her decision of which couple to select. .

She explained how as they they would make those drives to the Dallas office, our birthmom began to open up to her about the tough decision she had ahead of her. Jeannine would patiently and thoughtfully listen to her during these discussions and offer up counsel when asked.

What truly struck me in my conversation with Jeannine on that special day was when she explained how she herself began to receive strong promptings from the Spirit that we were to be Little Man's parents. I was humbled beyond words as I listened to her share this experience and the realization that both she and the birthmom had received powerful promptings from Heavenly Father about Little Man coming to our home. What a reminder this was to me that God's hand is in our lives...often times when we don't even realize it. I will forever be grateful to her for listening and heeding the promptings of the still, small voice by continuing her Christ-like service to our birthmother.

Just one month after Little Man was born, Jeannine was called to be the Relief Society President in her ward and therefore was released from her calling of working with birthmothers. You might find it interesting to know that during this time, Little man's biological mom was the only birthmother Jeannine had the opportunity to work with. I believe with all my heart she was called for one single purpose...to help Heavenly Father get Little Man to us.

As I shared this with the sisters in Relief Society today.... I shared with them how I have learned in my own life how God often times answers our prayers through other people and their willingness to heed the promptings of the still, small voice.

On May 19, 2007, we had the tremendous blessing of having Jeannine, along with Little Man's biological grandmother, join us in the temple the day he was sealed to us. It meant the world to us to have them both there to share this special moment with us.

I look forward to teaching and sharing with Little Man this story as he grows into adulthood. I so want him to understand how God's hand has been in his life from early on.... long before he was born. I also pray he learns to appreciate the blessings of listening to the still, small voice.



"I know my Father lives and loves me too.
The Spirit whispers this to me and tells me it is true,
And tells me it is true...
He sent me here to earth, by faith to live his plan.
The Spirit whispers this to me and tells me that I can,
And tells me that I can."

LDS Hymns no. 302


Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Your kisses are God's kisses for him. He obviously loves you very much and I'm sure he made sure the Holy Ghost saw to it that he made it into your sweet arms. Wiggles, kisses whatever it took Little Man was on board and working it.

    And so is number 2.

    Thank you so much for your beautiful story. What profound insights about the Spirit and his promptings.

    PS Love the song by Jewel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing yet another piece of your amazing story. The tender mercies and bounteous love of our Father in Heaven are so beautiful and wonderful and infinite!!!

    ReplyDelete