Monday, November 22, 2010

A Season of Thanksgiving.

thanksgiving program 2010 014


Little Man and his classmates put on a sweet Thanksgiving program this week. He is the Indian standing on the front row on the far left. Notice his little feet...an obvious sign to his mama that he was feeling a little nervous about being in front of the crowd.

I must tell you though, as soon as he walked through the doors (as the program began), my heart began to pound wildly...I was so, so nervous for him.

thanksgiving program 2010 003

I began to wave from the audience trying to get his attention...I desperately felt he needed to see me before the show started. He looked scared when he realized all the people that were there. He was scanning the audience for his "safe haven" ...his mommy and daddy. :-)
thanksgiving program 2010 006

We made eye contact with him and I could tell this eased his nervousness.

As they began singing, he seemed to loosen up a bit. They sang several Thanksgiving songs for the audience.
thanksgiving program 2010 011

It was about now though that he made eye contact with me again and I could tell something was wrong. And then he just walked off the stage and came over to me in the middle of a song. He said out loud for all to hear, "Mommy...I have to pee-pee!"

I, his Mommy, had a little panic attack...I kid you not. My mind was racing and I thought..."Okay, there are only a few more songs, surely he can hold out for a few more minutes until its over." Plus we were in the parish hall of the school and I had no idea where the nearest bathroom was to run him to quickly and still get him back in time before the program was over. So... I sent him back on the stage and told him we'd go as soon as the program was over.
thanksgiving program 2010 023
And so then this happened, for the next 2 songs he just stood there, with his head down--not singing. I don't have a picture of it because I was kneeling on the front row trying to get his attention. He obviously had to go to the bathroom bad or he was just feeling too nervous and wanted of the the stage. I felt horrible for not taking him to the bathroom when he walked off the stage. I know...bad Mommy!! I'm slapping my hand for you! ;-)

Thankfully, one of the teachers came to the rescue from the side of the stage and grabbed his little hand and walked him to the bathroom. He made it back in time to sing the last song.
thanksgiving program 2010 020
As you can tell above...he was back to his normal self after getting to go to the bathroom.

thanksgiving program 2010 026

We sure were proud of our little Indian...notice the hives on my neck below---a sure sign of stress for this mama hen!! :-)
thanksgiving program 2010 033

We are so thankful for our son. He is the joy of our lives.

I am looking forward to traveling to Austin this week to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with our family. Little Man is especially excited to get to play with all of his cousins. The hubby is looking forward to watching some college football with the guys and I am looking forward to eating some great food! ;-)

As I think about this holiday we call Thanksgiving and what it means to me personally...I am humbled as I reflect on where my life has taken me these past 38 years and the loved ones I am sharing this journey with. While I (nor my life) is in no way perfect, I am trying my best to live a good life....a life that reflects my priorities. My husband and my dear son mean the world to me--I am thankful for their love and patience with me. I am grateful to have been born to goodly parents and to be the sister to 3 amazing brothers--to have been raised in a home where I felt love, peace and security all the days of my youth. I have tremendous gratitude in my heart for Jesus Christ and the gift of the Atonement in my life. And, without a doubt, I am grateful to live in this amazing country we call America, where we have so many bounteous freedoms and opportunities.

Yet, by far, what I am most grateful for this year are the tender mercies I have felt in my life from the Lord--particularly this year. As I have struggled with what His plan is for me as a wife, mother and daughter of God....as I have (like so many of us) encountered my own personal disappointments... and admittedly, as I have questioned our path to Adoption (the second time around) and why the wait has to be so long---throughout it all, I have been blessed to feel the tender mercies of the Lord in my life. They have served me well---a gentle, calming balm of peace to my soul.

Through my own personal commitment to exercise even greater faith in God and his plan for me...

I have been strengthened when I needed it the most...
I have been cared for when my spirits were lacking the most...
I have felt His guidance when I needed it the most...and yes...
I have felt my silent prayers answered time and time again.


This one thought has been running around in my head for the past few weeks---let me share:

Our lives may not always turn out the way WE think they should...but they inevitably (and thankfully) will always work out the way GOD wants them to.


If I have the opportunity to say it out loud this year at the Thanksgiving table with my family, this is what I hope to say through my muddled tears of gratitude:

"I am truly thankful for the tender mercies I have felt from my Heavenly Father and my Savior. However simple they may be, they have been powerful reminders to me that our prayers are heard and that we are loved--despite all our shortcomings."

May you all have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving holiday!

"The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!"

~Henry Ward Beecher

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. I adore your blog! You are a beautiful lady and you have a terrific family! Your story touches my heart and helps build my testimony!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naomi...thank you for your sweet comment. You are too kind. I am happy to meet you via this little blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too precious! I am so glad you shared this. I wish we could have been there to see our little man! We love him so much!

    ReplyDelete