10.18.2010

Time at home...


(Photo taken by my sister-in-law, Katherine, at my parent's 28 acre home site...my "childhood home")
“A house is a home when it shelters the body and comforts the soul.

-Phillip Moffitt

We have been having a good 'ole time during our stay here at my parent's place. It's been good for my soul to have this time to spend at my childhood home. Since the Hubby, son and I now live 10 hours away from here...we don't get to come back to visit as often as I would like. Yet, when we do, I am reminded of so many tender memories that were created here.

No matter how far I travel or how long I have lived away from this home...it always feels like home-sweet-home when I come back.

Here is just a small sampling of the memories that flood my mind when I come home to see my parents :

Climbing the chestnut tree in the front pasture with my brothers and all of us getting these massive thorns that punctured our feet--seriously they went right through our tennis shoes...OUCH!!

Running and chasing the cows with my brothers in our pasture while trying to dodge the oh-so-scary electric fence...

Learning how to drive my dad's truck (country-style)--- you just drive all over the pasture...

Jumping and sliding down the hay bales in the summers...

Hosting a bazillion slumber parties with my childhood best friends...we'd stay up 'til the wee hours of the night laughing, talking, dreaming---AND watching scary movies like Carrie and Nightmare on Elm Street or those girly movies such as Girls Just Wanna Have Fun...

Swimming in our backyard pool with all our friends and laying out during the hot Texas summers...

Me, driving the go-cart through the barbed-wire fence---yes, most definitely a near death experience...YIKES!

Monday Night Family Home Evenings (Family Councils basically) that were, well... let's just say...comical or disastrous on most occasions...

Christmas mornings each year as a kid..."Magical" in every sense...all made possible by our amazing and loving parents...

The happy tears and yes, sad tears, too sometimes that were shed in my childhood home...all part of the growing process we experienced as a family here.

But quite honestly...what I remember most about my childhood home is the immense peace I felt within the walls of our home growing up. It was my refuge from the stressors of the world I guess you could say. I will always be grateful to my parents for providing my brothers and I such a loving and peaceful place to grow up ...a place we so fondly call home. A place that most definitely provided shelter for our bodies and comfort for our souls...and still does to this day!

Yet even now...as I savor my role as a parent myself, I love bringing my son to visit my childhood home. I enjoy sitting back and watching him play, laugh and giggle as he gets to experience the same love and peace that I felt here as a child.

It is truly magical to watch.

The past few days, we have experienced some of that peace and joy at my parent's place...

here is just a glimpse of some of the fun we have had so far while visiting.


My sister-in-law, Katherine, brought my nieces, Ava and Lola, over for the weekend to play with Little Man. They had a blast playing together!



gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 003

2010-10-18 gilmer visit oct1

And, well...of course KiKi and Poppy's place wouldn't be complete without a trunk full of dress-up clothes to choose from.



Only this time, they got Little Man dressed up, too!! Uh-oh...Daddy probably won't like this!!

Little Man was a good sport about it, but the pink leotard and bow were just too much for him...he was yelling for mommy to, "Get it off !!" not too long after they got him dressed up.

He is ALL BOY...!! ;-)



Whenever I come for a visit, I like to whip up some of my Oatmeal Cookies. My Dad loves them, so the girls had fun helping me in the kitchen, as did my lovely sister-in-law who had fun snapping these pictures!

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 257

My Dad a/k/a Poppy to the grandkids, always enjoys taking the kids out for a ride on the land with his retired golf cart. Little Man LOVES this...

Katherine's portrait pics 170

Katherine's portrait pics 179

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 020

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 118

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 113

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 107
The kids enjoyed playing some tunes on the piano...it was really cute in the beginning, but let me tell ya...after a while, our ears were hurting!!

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 102

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 099

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 091
Little Man got a little pouty at one point...
gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 087

but then he recovered. ;-)

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 085


gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 038

And of course, no cousin get together would be the same without a fun bath together...there were lots of bubbles and even more splashing!

gilmer visit oct. 2010 part 2 034

Aunt Katherine enjoying some cuddle time on the couch with the kids while watching NEMO.

Good times at my parent's pad, yes indeed!

The Hubby joins us tomorrow...I am so looking forward to seeing him. :-)


(Post edit: Here is the recipe I use for my Oatmeal Cookies...a simple, standard recipe...)

1 c. shortening
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 c. 3-minute oats
1 tsp. vanilla
1tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. flour

Cream shortening and add sugars and mix. Add eggs and vanilla and sift in soda, salt and flour, and mix. Then stir in oats. Drop small amount on end of teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheet at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

I always double recipe because we go through these things pretty fast!!!

Enjoy!!

XOXO...

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Your sister-in-law's camera takes some sweet pictures! What cute little nieces. Poor Noah! ha ha. The torture of having girl cousins. Christopher has had his nail painted a few times by his cousins when he's visited. So, how about posting your fabulous oatmeal cookie recipe? I only make those once in a blue moon and I like to try other people's recipes! Even if it's not an original, so add it if you'd like to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! What a great home and fun to return to. Your son is so adorable!!! Oh, my goodness. The look on his face with the pink tutu and bow...priceless!!!

    I'll have to try the oatmeal recipe. We're fans of those around here!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kelly and Sylvia! I hope you like the recipe. It is yummy..in fact, I think I'm going to make another batch today! :-)

    ReplyDelete