Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kitchen thoughts.


"But our waking life, and our growing years, were for the most part spent in the kitchen, and until we married, or ran away, it was the common room we shared. "

-Laure Lee

For my family, the kitchen is the heart and soul of our home. It is the room that is used more often than any other space.

I love, love, love it...{and as a side note---I must give a shout out and many heartfelt thanks to the previous owners of our home who remodeled and designed this delightful space--they had the vision and put in the man hours to transform a 1950's kitchen to a more modern, old world style.}

And I must say....because I love this space so much, it continues to motivate me to do more cooking, baking and well, other "domestic mama" stuff in the kitchen.


One thing I have been wanting to learn how to do for some time is canning.

A friend recommended this book to me. Do any of you have it or use it on a regular basis?? I ordered it just this weekend from Amazon. I'm so hoping it will be useful and give me some great tips and recipes on the art of canning. I also would love to learn how to make homemade jams and jellies.

Do any of you have any other book or recipe suggestions for canning?? If so, please share...I would love to hear them.


And since Autumn is just around the corner, I have been looking for some new seasonal dessert recipes to try--particularly ones with pumpkin. The hubby doesn't really care for pumpkin, so I need to get a little creative.

Here is a great tasting recipe I found in this month's House Beautiful magazine.

{photo courtesy of House Beautiful}

Ina Garten a/k/a "Barefoot Contessa" isn't too big a fan of pumpkin pie, so she has come up with a great alternative...Pumpkin cupcakes. A recipe which I think will go over much better with the Hubby and Little Man.

You can go here to get her awesome recipe. I especially like this one because it includes Heath bars...yum...yum!!!


Here are a few other tasty looking pumpkin recipes that we will be trying out this fall at Casa Mask {whether the Hubby likes it or not!!!!} ;-) :

Mini Pumpkin-Molasses Cakes, Southern Living


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, Joy of Baking


Pumpkin-Chocolate Cheesecake Bars, Better Homes and Gardens


Mini Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pies, Picky Palate

Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes, Pinch My Salt


Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Spread, Pinch My Salt


Pumpkin Muffins, Muffin Top


Autumn will officially be here the 23rd of this month. Unfortunately for those of us who live in South Texas on the Mexico border, it takes several more weeks for the cool, crisp weather to make it down our way. Until then, I look forward to trying some of these new dessert recipes in my kitchen {my own little piece of heaven} with the hopes of creating special memories as a family as we eat at the dinner table together this fall.


XOXO...

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen. Seriously.
    AND, I love pumpkin stuff. Derick and I were talking about how we are excited to start having some goodies made with pumpkin. I must say that pumpkin whoopie pies are delightful.
    If you want to know an easy pumpkin cookie recipe, here it is:

    1 box of spice cake mix
    1 can (15 oz...or whatever that size is) pumpkin
    1 cup chocolate chips

    That's it!
    They are so fluffy and yummy. Maybe you have had them but I had to share anyway b/c they are some of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cheryl! :-) And those pumpkin cookies sound really yummy! I'll definitely have to try that recipe. Thanks so much for sharing!

    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SOOO ready to start eating pumpkin treats! You really motivated me more to make something! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete