9.01.2010

A charmed life.


"If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging."
{~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"}

When I am feeling a bit overwhelmed as a mom, I try my best to remember the advice given in Diane Looman's quote on parenthood.

Some days it is easier than others to remember advice like this.

On most days, I am a better parent than other days-- but admittedly, on some days I just feel like I absolutely stink at it.

I continue to be "schooled" in my role as a mother.

I continue to pray for patience and guidance each day.

And yes, on many days, it stretches me in ways that I never thought possible.



As a case in point....we had World War III at our Casa the other morning. I was attempting to prepare for work all the while getting Little Man ready and off to his preschool. Just getting him dressed can often lead to a battle these days. He is in that oh-so-challenging independent stage where he wants to do everything His way. I hear alot of this these days, " No, Mommy!! I do it!!" And unfortunately, for me his approach and time frame for doing it "His way" doesn't always gel with mine.

Are you following me?

I'm sure all you working moms out there will understand this.

So on this particular morning, which so happened to be the same day we were going to celebrate his birthday with his classmates at his new preschool --as well as with his old friends from his former preschool...I was feeling especially stretched as a mom.

Yep, you heard me right...2 parties...all on the same day= STRESS!!!

Running around getting all the birthday cupcakes, balloons, drinks, party favors for 30 + kids was tiring, to say the least.

Staying up 'till the wee hours of the night preparing all the cute party favors was fun, yet especially tiring...




In moments like these, I find respite in counsel such as this. How thankful I am to have church leaders such as Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, who are inspired and give such wise counsel, particularly as it applies to my role as a mother. I know that I will only get one shot at this thing we call motherhood with my son and I want so badly to do the best I can to love him, teach him and provide him experiences to build his self-esteem and develop a deep love and appreciation for his Savior. But I know for all that development to occur, I too must continue to grow and develop as a mother and daughter of God.

Which leads me to yet another one of my favorite quotes on parenting:
"It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself."

~Joyce Maynard

Alas, I return to the birthday celebrations for our Little Man...it was truly a gift for me to see him be loved on by all his new (and old) friends for his class parties. He was grinning from ear to ear the entire time and as happy as could be. And well, as always, my heart just melted with love for him.

It was magical to watch his face light up as we all sang "Happy Birthday" to celebrate his special day.



DSC00555







Yes, indeed, our Little Man lives a charmed life {not perfect by any means, but charmed as in blessed ;-) } and I am so thankful to have a front-row seat to enjoy all these special moments with him.



XOXO...

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I love this post and everything you stand for. You are a great Mom! He is a lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and that precious boy! You and Jody are great parents raising a wonderful son!!!! Love,
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday little man! you find the best quotes...ever! i loved this post.

    ReplyDelete