Saturday, August 7, 2010

Womanhood.

Make Enough of Me, Julie de Azevedo Hanks

{Reminder...pause music playing from my playlist on the sidebar of this blog before watching this, otherwise, you're going to get really frustrated! ;-) }


I was talking with my parents this week on the phone. What a blessing they are to me. They were giving me a much needed pep talk. It has been a draining week with my work schedule, the hubby's busy work schedule, his new calling and simply just trying to balance it all while giving quality time to our son in the midst of this hectic thing we call LIFE. The counsel they shared with me lifted my spirits and reminded me of why we are here and why my role as a wife and mother is so important to my family. I also had a long conversation with a dear friend the other day that is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. My heart breaks for her and the tremendous trial she is going through. After we got off the phone, I shed tears for her and literally felt her pain. I was troubled that I can't do more to help her. She is a beautiful {both inside and out} and a special woman whom I admire for her strength and dedication to her family.

I was left with this thought...I wonder if our Heavenly Father and Savior feel this way about us when we are so pained and troubled with life's problems. I would imagine that they shed tears for all of their children as we walk our varied paths in this life. I am particularly speaking of women and the many burdens we quietly carry in this day and age.

I was reading in M. Russell Ballard's book today. He shares the following:

"Every {woman} who stands for truth and righteousness diminishes the influence of evil. Every {woman} who strengthens and protects her family is doing the work of God. Every {woman} who lives as a woman of God becomes a beacon for others to follow and plants seeds of righteous influence that will be harvested for decades to come...."

Elder Ballard then shares, "A Woman's Lifeline":

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.

Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.

Age 15: She looks at herself and sees and Ugly Duckling. (Mom, I can't go to school looking like this!")

Age 20: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but decides she's going out anyway.

Age 30: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but decides she doesn't have time to fix it so she's going out anyway.

Age 40: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but says, "At least I am clean," and goes out anyway.

Age 50: She looks at herself and sees "I am what I am" and goes wherever she wants to go.

Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.

Age 70: She looks at herself and sees wisdom, laughter, and ability. Goes out and enjoys life.

Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.



He then closes with this thought...

Maybe we should all grab that purple hat earlier.





XOXO...

Jennifer

6 comments:

  1. well, i just want you to know that this post of yours ... i have a feeling is going to change my life, for the better. what a great post, what a great message. thanks for sharing it. today made me wish i "know" you for real ... i think we would be good friends... or at least i would want to! you are amazing. best to you and your family as you live the life of a bishop's wife. i can tell just from reading about your family here that you guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, rachelle--it's definitely going to take some time for us to adjust to his new church calling. but it should be a wonderful experience.

    and i agree--i have SO enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you via bloggerland. if i am ever able to make it up your way, we must meet in person! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful about Jody's new calling as bishop! He will be so good at that. You'll be fine. Best to you. You will be a loving, wonderful support. xoxo Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your thoughts on the subject. Very inspirational and a much needed reminder when the days get very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kelly...love ya girl!

    Jaime...so good to hear from you. Glad you enjoyed this post. Hope all is going well in your new city! I'm sure you are loving it...especially the nice weather compared to the sweltering South Texas heat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that womens lifeline...that is great!

    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete