Sunday, July 11, 2010

Strong and courageous youth...

2010-07-11 youth conference 20102

This weekend the hubby and I had the opportunity to present workshops for a youth conference at our church. Youth conference in the LDS faith is an opportunity for youth of different congregations to come together for activities, workshops, dances, service projects and a culminating testimony meeting. It is designed to strengthen their testimonies, increase their faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to just have some good 'ole clean fun.

The theme for this year's conference was Joshua 1:9...

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."


The hubby gave his presentation on Friday afternoon {unfortunately I couldn't attend and so there are no pics...boo-hoo!}. His topic was on increasing your strength by drawing closer to God. Before he got into the "meat" of his presentation, his icebreaker included headbands, wristbands, sunglasses, dumbells, "Eye of the Tiger" and "Rocky" theme music...so as you can imagine... the kids were hooked from the get-go. By all accounts, the kids had a blast in his workshop {I know this because I heard all about it from the youth on Saturday when I gave my workshop.}

My workshop was held during the Saturday afternoon session. The topic was on "Creative Dating". The icebreaker was a speed dating activity which gave the youth an opportunity to get to know each other in a fun yet very quick way. They only about 30 seconds to each answer a question before they had to switch seats. I enjoyed walking around during the activity and listening to their conversations. It was so cute to see them blush when they introduced themselves and began interacting with a new partner.


2010-07-11 youth conference 20103

Following the speed dating activity, we came back together as a group and discussed the counsel that our church leaders have given the youth regarding dating. We discussed the counsel that is given in For The Strength of Youth program. For workshop purposes, we called this section "LDS Dating: 101". I was impressed with their level of understanding and appreciation for these standards. I was humbled by how respectful and virtuous our youth are and the love that they have for the gospel and their Savior.


2010-07-11 youth conference 2010

We then broke into small groups and I had them brainstorm various group/double dating activities. They came up with some great ideas and seemed to get to know each other a little better through the process.

Recently Updated

There were three different rotations of the workshops for both the hubby and me. So I had about 3o minutes with each group and then they would rotate to another workshop. The time just flew by!

2010-07-11 youth conference 20101


Reflections...

It was super stressful trying to prepare for this event, but I am thankful for the invitation to be a part of this year's youth conference. What a blessing it is for the youth of our church to have such events like this to help them draw closer to Christ and meet new friends who share their same beliefs and standards.

And speaking of standards for the youth, here is a great message about that...





P.S. And a special thanks to my friend Jordan for helping me take some of these pics while I was in the midst of my workshop! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, this is one of my favorite posts ever, on any of my friends' blogs. I love it. What a wonderful message. I'm so glad that the youth in your area have you and Jody as mentors and role models. What a powerful message! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Kelly...thanks! That is such a huge compliment. We absolutely LOVE working with the youth!

    ReplyDelete