Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pioneer Day fun...


In the Mormon faith, we take time each year on July 24th to celebrate our ancestors...the Pioneers. While it is primarily a state holiday in Utah, it is still celebrated by our congregations all over the country and abroad. It is a time for members of our church to come together for games, activities, great food and remember our ancestors who sacrificed so much in order that the church would have a lasting legacy.

This year, we decided to attend {well, the Hubby made me go--I was a bit cranky about having to go in the beginning--it was super hot and most of the activities were going to be outside.}. I was surprised by all that I saw when we pulled into the parking lot. Our congregation went all out for this event. There were rides for the kids, games, musical entertainment, great food, carnival-esque blow up bouncers and rock climbing. I have never seen a Pioneer celebration as elaborate and well attended as this one. We had several hundred people in attendance.

Pioneer Day celebration 2010



Pioneer Day celebration 2010


Pioneer Day celebration 2010

Little Man really had a great time!

Mom and Dad- july visit 2010 263

A man from our congregation drove his newly refurbished '53 Chevy pick-up truck. The hubby loves antique cars, so he spent some time talking with him about it. I am certain that one of these days we will be owning our own classic car or truck...I feel that day coming. :-)

Pioneer Day celebration 2010

Me... being a silly duck on the bouncer/obstacle course with my Little Man. He started it by himself but got stuck halfway when he had to climb to the top of the slide, so Mommy had to come to the rescue and climb in to help him up. As you can tell...I was really struggling climbing that darn slide with a 3 year old straddling me --holding on for dear life!

Mom and Dad- july visit 2010 227



Mom and Dad- july visit 2010 216


Mom and Dad- july visit 2010 215

Little Man wasn't quite sure what to think about this ride...he just kept staring at it with his nose crinkled.

Mom and Dad- july visit 2010 245

All in all...and despite the sweltering heat, we really had a nice time--and yes, my crankiness dissipated fairly quickly when I saw how much our Little Man was enjoying himself. I so love to see him laugh and giggle when he is having fun. It is the greatest gift for me as his mommy. And well, when he gives me one of his great, big hugs...that just makes me melt! I love my Little Man so very much...


No comments:

Post a Comment