Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A tender heart...






The other night I was laying in bed reading my scriptures and little man crawls into the bed and asks "Mommy...is that the Book of Norman?" Of course I busted out laughing. This is what he calls the Book of Mormon and it is the cutest thing to hear him say. This then led to a discussion of why it is important for us to read and study the Bible and Book of Mormon daily. He then proceeded to take my reading glasses off and promptly place them on himself. And well, you know me...I wasn't about to miss out on this Kodak moment for anything - so I threw the covers back and ran for my camera. And you all know our little man....he loves to put on a show for the camera!

The hubby and I have really been focusing our discussions with little man on being reverent at church, particularly during Sacrament meetings {with the hopes of preparing him for this special honor someday}. Quite honestly, sometimes I wonder when we have Family Home Evening --is it going in one ear and out the other?? But, I know in my heart his little spirit is listening. Gospel principles are learned by repetition--this I know. And speaking of Sacrament meetings, I thought I'd share what happened this past Sunday in our Sacrament meeting.

A sister in our ward shared something with both the hubby and me this past Sunday that made my heart swell with love for our son. We just so happened to be sitting in front of her during Sacrament meeting. During one of the talks, she explained how she began to get emotional because speaker's message made her reflect on her own life and she really felt the Spirit. And, her tears began to flow. Our little guy apparently noticed her crying and she said he simply smiled at her and then gave her his Pebbles to hold (his special stuffed animal that goes everywhere with him)--his prized possession. She said this kind act had touched her heart and that she wanted us to know that our son has a very tender heart-- especially for such a young age. I can't tell you how humbled I was by this. I was especially grateful to her for sharing this with us because we would have never known he did this. I saw him give her Pebbles out of the corner of my eye but had no idea what had happened to lead him to do this. My heart swelled with pride when I heard the whole story. This experience reminded me of the very special spirit our Heavenly Father has entrusted to us to raise. But I was also reminded of something else...


In the Mormon faith, it is a common tradition for fathers to give their newborn children what is called a name and a blessing--a very special ordinance in our faith. It is a special moment for an LDS father...one that he looks forward to after receiving the priesthood at a young age and continues to work toward by receiving the Melchizedek priesthood. As you can imagine, for the hubby and me... the journey to become parents came much later than either one of us expected and in a much more unique way than we had ever planned, so our son's blessing was a very special and emotional time for my dear husband. I (with the help of my sister-in-law Katherine) recorded the words of our little guy's blessing. Because of adoption formalities, we were not able to do our son's "name and blessing" at church until the adoption was finalized....almost 9 months after his birth. I keep a copy of it in my scriptures always and after this sweet sister at church shared what little man did for her, it made me want to pull out his blessing again and re-read it. For you see when this sister shared that she felt he has a very tender heart--my heart almost jumped out of my chest for I remembered these words in the blessing his Daddy had given him. Normally I would not think it appropriate but since I know very few people read this blog--primarily only our dear friends and family, and since this blog is my family's living scrapbook, I decided to include his special blessing in this post for our son to read someday and for his posterity to have.


My son, my heart is full. I bless you this day my son. I bless you with a strong mind, a strong body and a tender heart. My son you are blessed with a family rich in the gospel who has a love for their fellow man, and that will be important to you. I bless you with parents who have a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, who seek to lead you in righteousness. Who will help you learn and grow here in mortality for your blessing and benefit.

My son, I bless you with the faith that you will be a light...a light unto the world, that you will learn that it takes no courage to swim with the currents of the world, but that you will be different because of your faith and because of your desire to be Christ-like in all of your dealings.

My son, I bless you with opportunities for education and development and that you will be a leader among your siblings and among your associates and that your leadership will be by example. I bless you with love and in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


And selfishly, my second favorite line in his blessing is when it says that our son will "be a leader among his siblings"...this brings me great hope and peace that someday (whether in this life or the next) more children are in store for us....

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I am so honored/blessed/thankful that I could be there for Noah's blessing. It was a day I won't soon forget. You are blessed, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It meant so much to have you there, Tabitha. What a special day that was for us all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a note. I have had such a great time looking and reading through your blog. What a beautiful family you have! Yes, we just finalized our little boy's adoption. I don't know if you saw, but we adopted 2 babies through LDSFS born 2 months apart. Adoption is such a humbling and beautiful experience isn't it, as you patiently and prayerful find your children, or they find you. I wish you all the best waiting for your next little one to join your family. Isn't it great that God is heading all of this... it's a beautiful ride. Hope to keep in touch with you and will follow your blog. Where in Texas do you live? My BFF lives in Austin and just wondered if you were by there. Have a great day and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet and beautiful experience!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ .. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign