6.30.2010

My mom...



Florida 032





"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother."

-- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)



Today, my thoughts are on my mom. It is her special day--her birthday! I am grateful to my Father in Heaven for blessing me with my mother. I feel so blessed that we have had so much time here on this earth to spend together and get to know each other better. And therefore, on your birthday, I must tell you how much I love you and am truly thankful for all that you did to help me get where I am today and all that you continue to do for your family.



Back in May, I was asked to give a talk in church on motherhood. It was an emotional experience for me to share my thoughts on this sacred calling. And, in preparation for it, I had the opportunity to reflect on so many memories of you, Mom, and all that you did for me and the boys when we were young to teach us, love us and raise us in the Gospel. You never once waivered from your role as our mother and believe me...I remember how trying it was at times to raise all four of us. I, alone, was a handful!!! And then to raise three boys so close in age--my goodness! I don't know how you did it and stayed sane.



But back to the talk I gave...I shared a quote in it from Jane Clayson's book, I Am Mother which made a huge impression on me. It speaks so much to your own outlook on motherhood.



“A couple of years ago, my husband and I attended a dinner meeting outside Washington, D.C. It was a wonderful gathering of about seventy-five mostly LDS couples from a variety of professions, including law, business, education, and communications. After dinner, each of us was asked to introduce him or herself. The men in the room confidently and appropriately stated their professional achievements, which were impressive. They had degrees; they served on boards; they tended to patients and served clients; they had accomplished sons and daughters. Then their wives stood up—beautiful, intelligent, spiritual women. Many of them had served on boards, held degrees, and were seasoned in their respective fields. Each of them was also a mother. But this is how many of the women described themselves:

“Oh, I’m just a mom.”

“I don’t have any credentials; I’m just raising our six children.”

“My life’s not very exciting right now; I’m just a stay-at-home mom.”

“I don’t have much to offer here. I’m just a mother.”

We heard some variation of the phrase “I’m just a mother” repeated, almost apologetically, over and over again.

Their words surprised me. I had recently given birth to my first child, and I was on top of the world. My baby was a blessing that had come to me a little later in life than usual, and I was excited and honored to finally accept the mantle of motherhood. I felt an extraordinary sense of responsibility. And power. Not as the world defines the word, but from entering a sacred partnership with the Creator Himself. What a remarkable gift! I wanted to shout from the rooftops, “I am a mother! I am a mother!”



Mom has always made it very clear in both word and deed that what she is most proud of in this life is her family and her role as Mother. Indeed, this has left a lasting impression on my heart! What a special example for me as her daughter and leading me to understand my own role now as a wife and mother to my own family. And truly, it means the world to a child (whether you are young or old) to know that you are your mother's most prized possession.



So dear Mom...I couldn't resist to take you down memory lane on your special day.



I love you so very much and hope you have a wonderful birthday!!



scan0012



scan0003



Mom and her older brother, Uncle Bill...



scan0011



Grandma Dutton with Mom and Uncle Bill...



I will never forget our special day in the temple, Mom and... the sweet and special memories you shared with me about Grandma Dutton. I have no doubt she is smiling down on you from heaven and so very proud of all that you have accomplished!



scan0005



Mom and Uncle Bill...



scan0006



scan0001

I must say, I'm sure I got my dancing and high-kick'in skills from my mama...here she is as Captain of the drill team (both high school and college I might add!)...I believe this was as a Cardette in college--right mom???



scan0004



"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her."



-- George Washington (1732-1799)





scan0007



Mom and me having some fun in the backyard...I believe this was when we lived in Oklahoma when Dad was in the Army.



scan0002 (2)



scan0008



Awww...At our old house on Greenway in Gilmer...man-oh-man-the 70's clothing styles--whew!!!! Gotta love it...





scan0009



You and Uncle Kerry having some fun at Mimi's house



There is no doubt, for our family, Mom has ALWAYS been the life of the party! This picture brings back so many good memories of us hanging out at Mimi's house on Riverway in Dallas. I remember how you and Mimi would always push back the furniture in her living area, turn on some Michael Jackson or the Bee Gees (Stay'in Alive soundtrack) music and we would all start dancing around the room!



Such good times...



scan0010

Me, Mom and my cousin Casey at Mimi's house...





And now...you get to enjoy being Grandma KiKi to all your grandchildren....Little Man so loves his KiKi!!

Mother's Day 2008 098

In D.C. with Little Man when we lived in Virginia...what a fun trip that was for us!



IMG_3499





beach-momdad



mom and dad



marcus and mom







"Youth fades, love droops, the leaves of friendship fall; a mother's secret hope outlives them all."




-- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1775-1817)





"Children are the sum of what mothers contribute to their lives..."



-Author Unknown


P.S. And here is a great pep-talk for all you mothers out there...we all need reminders that the work we are doing is magnificent!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Mrs. Bishop! I always have and always will love you. Thank you for allowing me to be a small part of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic of Kath with Bill under the Christmas tree, reminds me of Lola!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mom. She is such an amazing woman. I think of her often. Especially while drafting any document or when I go to North Park Mall in Dallas. She is one of the many women that helped define who I am.

    ReplyDelete