Monday, January 18, 2010

The Quintuplets turn 1...

Over the weekend, we attended the "Fab Five's" birthday party. If you remember, I blogged a while back about my cousin Casey and her husband Ethan being pregnant with five (that's right F-I-V-E) babies!! What a ride it has been for this family since giving birth to what they have since been labeled as the "Fab Five". The quintuplets turned 1 year old over the weekend. Casey and Ethan opened their home to family and friends on Saturday to celebrate this special day.

You can learn more about them here.


Casey and me taking a moment to pose for the camera amidst all the chaos --and that is my cousin Kyle in the background (Casey's younger brother).


Casey's father (my Uncle Bill) watching over the kids as they jump away!



My mom and dad came in town for the party as well so it was nice getting together with them for the weekend... here they are chatting with Uncle Bill and Jody while Noah played in Elie's dollhouse. Elie is Casey and Ethan's oldest daughter.


Me, mom and Casey...


Dad (a/k/a Poppy to the grandkids) and Noah hanging out outside during the party...



I think Noah had more fun climbing in this tree than anything else while at the party! It took some coaxing with M&M's to get him to come down.

Reflections on the weekend...

It was wonderful to see my cousins and Aunt and Uncle who I had not seen in so long. Also, Jody and I enjoyed getting a wonderful date night while mom and dad hung out with Noah.

Overall though, I really wasn't sure what emotions I might feel by going to this party. We all knew that there would be a film crew there and even had to sign legal releases to be filmed and photographed. I was afraid it would feel very artificial, but it didn't really. I forgot the film crew was there in fact, but I'll have to admit, I was a little freaked out when I noticed the microphone pack on my cousin. I quickly began to replay my conversation with her in my head, wondering what stupid comment I might have made that could be aired on their upcoming pilot t.v. show!!??

But more than this, I wasn't sure how I would feel seeing my cousin with all her babies. You see, being infertile, and wanting to be able to conceive just one baby so badly, yet knowing I can't is a daily struggle and trial for me.

I have to say though, I was reminded this weekend that we are all tested and tried in our own unique ways. Mine may be that I have to go through this life as a barren woman and yet my cousin's trial is being the mother to five babies who came to her all at once! What a blessing it is though to see all five babies healthy and thriving!! I am sure that Casey and Ethan will continue to be blessed for all their efforts as they raise their dear children.

Yes, indeed...Life is not fair nor are we given blessings and trials in the same way. We each have our very own and unique journey in this life to navigate--peaks and valleys along the way.

I am thankful for the journey I have had thus far.

I am especially thankful that this journey has included a wonderful husband and the greatest son I could have ever asked for...

And as far as those peaks and valleys go...they have all been for my own good.

Closing thoughts...

I was reading President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk in January's Ensign this morning and the following thoughts he shared struck a chord in my heart...

"You have a celestial pedigree and therefore have all the necessary talents to make your life an eternal success story...you have felt His influence and witness His power in your life. And if you continue to seek Him, He will continue to grant you sacred experiences...Know and remember this: the Lord loves you...He remembers you. And He will ever sustain those who endure in faith to the end."

I believe that my cousin's journey as a mother to quintuplets is a sacred experience (as is every mother's out there) and one that has not only forever changed her life but those around her. I feel confident that her journey will be blessed as she continues to let her light shine and draws close to the Lord.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment. This post was so brave and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to watch them on TV not knowing if it was your cousin or not until I saw Jody there. I am learning over the last three years of your struggle and pray that it isn't going to be a trial we have to endure to the end. I know we will be blessed with children, just maybe not the original way. Your strength helps me every day, I hope you know that! We love and miss the three of you!

    ReplyDelete