Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Eve in the Country- Act 2

My parents, KiKi and Poppy

My brother, Jeff and his wife, Jill



My brother Brent with his wife, Sheri and son, Beck

Christmas Eve was a lovely evening with the Bishop family. My mom prepared a great meal and it was so nice to see my brothers, sister-in-laws, nephew Beck, Aunt Karen, cousins Laura and Rachel, Aunt Virginia, Uncle Larry and Nanny together. Sadly, my brother Brian and his wife Katherine and two daughters got caught in the snowy weather in Dallas and couldn't drive in until Christmas day. We really missed having them there Christmas Eve.

Mom and Dad always have their house so beautifully decorated for the holidays. And, well, for my brothers and I growing up, they always made Christmas a magical experience for us. For this, I will always be eternally grateful for the lifetime of memories that they created for us. I have such fond memories of our Christmas Eve's together with our grandparents, Nanny and Granddaddy, Uncle David there and Big Mama and Papa there as well. Many years ago, when we were children, the tradition was to always have our Christmas Eve celebration at my grandparent's home in Gilmer where we would eat and open gifts from Nanny and Granddad as well as from Uncle David and Aunt Karen and Big Mama and Papa. Oh how I will forever cherish those times. I vividly remember the night my brothers and I each opened a gift at the same time that contained t-shirts that each had a letter on them and when combined spelled out J-U-M-P ... and to our shock and surprise, it was our parents big gift to us that year--they had bought us a trampoline and it was in our backyard---we were so excited!! I am also reminded of how we would reenact the nativity scene each year (when we were really little) and even as a little girl I could feel the spirit so strong in my grandparents home confirming to me that my Savior loved me and truly did die for me. Special memories to cherish---yes, indeed. Here are some of the memories that were made this Christmas Eve...

My very own stocking that mom made me so very long ago...




It is amazing to see how the stockings on the mantle have grown in number over the years. We were joking this year that now that we have two new grandbabies coming in 2010, the stockings will now have to start going around the side of the fireplace mantel since they have run out of room.


Our little guy was about to go insane with not being able to open the presents under the tree...here I caught him in the act of sneaking around the corner and trying to open one of the gifts before we busted him!

Oh...the temptation was just too much!!

Christmas Eve spread....

My mom (a/k/a KiKi) telling Noah that Santa was watching him and seeing if he was being a good boy....

My sister-in-law Sheri and her son, Beck

Aunt Ginner talking with Mom and Dad....it's always so nice to get to see her and Uncle Larry during the holidays...

My brother Brent getting ready to take a cat nap on the couch after eating his Christmas Eve meal...


My brother Jeff posing for me amidst all the conversation in the room...

Aunt Ginner and Uncle Larry...

Me and the Hubby...(and well my oh, so awful, bad hair day!- I didn't even have time to get ready for the party b/c I was helping my mom get ready for it and then I had to go pick up my grandmother and it took longer than we expected to get her there...ugh!)

My cousins Rachel and Laura with my Aunt Karen...Rachel just got accepted to dental school and will be graduating a year early from Texas A&M University this spring and Laura graduated from NYU last year and has her own band in Austin, Texas.

My grandmother Nanny enjoying the evening with her new scarf that my sister-in-law Jill made her.

It has been a Bishop Family tradition since I was very little--our great grandmother, Oni Lee (but known to us as "Big Mama" seriously---she loved that we called her that) Big Mama each Christmas Eve would give all the great grandkids a set of pajamas to wear. This tradition has been passed on by my parents to their grandkids. Here above are Noah and Beck wearing the new pajamas KiKi and Poppy bought for them. They were so cute in them.


Noah waiting for the call from Santa Claus...we had been telling him that Santa would be calling him on Christmas Eve to discuss his gift requests...

The long awaited call finally came and oh my goodness were we excited!! It was the cutest thing to see him talk on the phone. He told Santa he wanted an airplane and a choo-choo train. He also told Santa that he had been a good boy and would continue to be one for his mommy and daddy.


Still reeling over his conversation with Santa Claus after hanging up the phone.

This by far had to be the most priceless moment of the night...Noah had climbed up in one of the bar chairs in the kitchen, started watching a football game and fell slap asleep while munching on a chocolate covered oreo cookie.


Priceless indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment