Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Thirteenth Tale in review...

Cover of "The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel"Cover of The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel


From the book's jacket, we read:

"The Thirteenth Tale is a love letter to reading, a book for the feral reader in all of us, a return to that rich vein of storytelling that our parents loved and that we loved as children. Diane Setterfield will keep you guessing, make you wonder, move you to tears and laughter and, in the end, deposit you breathless yet satisfied back upon the shore of your everyday life."


It was a late night as I read into the wee hours of the night trying to finish Diane Setterfield's, The Thirteenth Tale. And, yes...I finally finished it! While it was intriguing at times and I found the literary language to be intelligently composed , I would be remiss if I did not mention that I was left feeling, on more than one occasion, disappointed in the slow pace of the story and bored by the stream of unadventurous events. Unfortunately, I was not even remotely moved to tears nor was I ever left feeling breathless or satisfied as a reader. In the end, I found it lacking in appeal to sustain me as a reader wholeheartedly and a bit too dark and depressing.

Sorry folks...I just can't recommend this one.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment