Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

What Some of Our Favorite Treats Cost Us....

An interesting tidbit my sister-in-law found in a magazine she was reading recently that I thought I would share....

Charles Stuart Platkin,
creator of Dietdetective.com, recently explained how many minutes of exercise are required to burn off some of our tasty but high-caloric indulgences. Please note that all figures below are computed for a 135-pound woman...



Large Soft Pretzel= 95 minutes of dancing


1 slice of Pepperoni Pizza=122 minutes of yoga


Small Ice Cream Sundae= 76 minutes of tennis



Regular-size cupcake= 115 minutes of walking 3 mph


15 Tortilla Chips and 3oz of Guacamole= 44 minutes of biking



4 oz Cheeseburger= 42 minutes of boxing



Medium French Fries= 53 minutes of swimming


Wow!! This surely put things in perspective as I tend to have a sweet tooth. I just wish he would have included Peanut M&M's as they are my all time weakness! I'd be curious how much it takes to exercise those off each time I indulge. Now, this guy isn't saying we can't indulge in these treats every once in a while obviously; however, you have to ask yourself if it is worth the work you will have to put in afterwards to work those calories off. And- in the long run, they can cause health risks- heart disease, diabetes and so forth.

Oh, but I will be the first to admit that saying no can be so, so, so very hard...but since summertime and swimsuit season is upon us- hopefully, that will give me the motivation I need to fight off the tempation to all these treats above.


6 comments:

  1. It is amazing, isn't it??
    I am the type to read the labels and gulp when I read them, but then just eat the food anyway. Bad habits!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer! This is totally off topic, but I wanted to let you know how exciting it was to get a letter in the mail for Lindsey from SVU, from the admissions office offering her a scholarship for the fall 2009 (even though she will still be a senior in high school in 2009-2010) to see the letter signed by Jody! She took the ACT and had her test scores sent there automatically. She's planning to take it two more times still, but will not be going to college until the following year. Anyway, I know Jody will be long gone, but it was exciting to have that letter arrive from him and I wanted to let you know we were impressed.

    Now about this post...no wonder I've been working out a lot and haven't lost any weight! Thanks for the explanation. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that a serving of fruits and veggies will off set the ice cream sunday I had last night. sigh...Oh well it is what it is
    Oh ya...Good luck in Texas. I'm sure Virginia will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly- how neat! I'll have to tell Jody about you guys receiving the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tiffany! Hope all is going well for you and your family. Congratulations again on your new baby daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ .. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign