5.19.2009

Today's special gem...



Before Noah's nap this afternoon, he asked me to read his "newest" favorite book, I Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. Selfishly, I am always happy when he asks me to read this book to him because I feel like it allows us to bond on a deeper level when I read and sing it to him. He absolutely loves when I get to the part where it reads:

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
as long as I'm living
my baby you'll be."

And of course for this part I always sing it to him. He'll usually say, "AGAIN"- and of course, I will re-sing it again a few times before he lets me go forward with the rest of the story. But today, as the story begins to wind down, when it gets to the portion where the mother is at the stage of life where she is too old to rock the grown son and he is rocking her instead and sings:

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
as long as I'm living
my Mommy you'll be."

My heart absolutely swelled when Noah stopped me and looked up at me, patted my chest while looking up at me and said "MY mommy" with the biggest and sweetest smile on his face. Of course, tears began to stream down my face and I had difficulty finishing the rest of the story for the huge lump in my throat.

I am thankful for this special moment I had with my son today. Sometimes I feel as if my heart is going to burst because I love him so much. I am especially thankful that I took the time to sit down and read this book with him. What a special gem this moment was for us...



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful little story. Noah loves his mommy dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that book is one of my all favorites jen! it makes me cry every single time!! my mom gave one to each of my brothers a few years ago for christmas...what great moment you had sharing it with Noah..that is what makes being a mom so rewarding!!

    ReplyDelete