Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Third Party...


I am an independent. I cannot; I will not vote straight ticket. For me, to vote straight ticket is a restraint on my freedom of choice. I feel that I have a duty of due diligence of the candidates. I personally cannot outsource this duty to a political party. There is not one party that represents all my views. Some parties' ideologies are too liberal; some too conservative. Both parties have been guilty in the past, and I assume will be in the future, of fomenting discord, even fear, in an effort to gain power by artificially induced popular excitement. I respect candidates from both major parties. And yet, I am concerned and have reservation about candidates from both major parties.

The early saints were persecuted by individuals from both major political parties of the day. Likewise, they found allies in both parties. Said the prophet Joseph Smith, "...we care not for Whig or Democrat; they are both alike to us, but we shall go for our friends, our tried friends, and the cause of human liberty, which is the cause of God." He further stated, "In relation to national matters, I want it to go abroad unto the whole world that every man should stand on his own merits. The Lord has not given me a revelation concerning politics. I have not asked Him for one. I am a third party, and stand independent and alone. I desire to see all parties protected in their rights."

I, too, am an indepencent, even a third party. This year, like those in the past, I will vote for Republicans and Democrats alike. I will vote for those candidates that I feel will fight for freedom and the Lords' children. When I think of the subject of the Lord's children, I am forever reminded that the Prophet Joseph smith taught that, "...a man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race." He further taught that it is our responsibility "to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church or in any other, or in no church at all, wherever [we} find them."

May you vote your mind, your heart and your conscience. And may the God of Heaven preserve this great Nation.

Jody R. Mask, Esquire
October 25, 2008

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I believe we definitely can see signs of the times that we have been warned about for years. This is the 7th presidential election that I have voted in since I turned 18. I am grateful for the freedom to vote my conscience and my choice. I am dumbfounded at the number of people I meet that have never voted. There was an article in the Longview paper last week about an 81 year old woman in Gilmer who registered to vote for the first time.

    Stephen Tefteller
    stefteller@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete