Sunday, September 14, 2008

Self-Esteem Movement

I have been working on a presentation I am giving this next week for a group of young women, ages 12-18 and their mothers on the topic of self-esteem. In my research, I came across the Dove Self-Esteem Fund for young girls and their mothers/mentors. It is absolutely wonderful and worth checking into if you are raising young girls and/or work with them through your job or volunteer work. To give you an idea, below you will find a few videos from their website highlighting the powerful impact advertisers and the beauty industry have on our young girls and their developing self-esteem.




2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jennifer. You just hit on my worst fear and nightmare. Abby has such a healthy self-esteem right now, but she's only five. I tell her everyday how it's more important to be smart and ACT pretty, but there's only so much I can do. I pray God will do the rest. Thanks for sharing that. You're right... it's frightening!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i just think it is really sad how the media and beauty industry put so much undo pressure on women to look perfect. women and young girls are bombarded with these mixed messages from everywhere, all of which can impact our self-esteem and self-worth. it sounds like you are doing everything right with Abby. what a blessing you are in her life!

    ReplyDelete