6.15.2008

Father's Day

I am the luckiest girl alive to have the father I do. What a blessing it is to have him in my life. I can honestly say that I would not be where I am without him (and my dear mother). As I think back over the years, there has never been a time in my life where he was not there for me always ready and willing to help me, teach me, love me and just listen to me. A father has such an ability to impact his daughter for good and mine most certainly has. I, at times, have felt sorry for my husband because I'm sure he feels at times that he can never fully measure up to the bar that has been set my Dad. But, he has such love and admiration for my Dad, he understands where my deep love for him comes.

Today, as we celebrate Father's Day, I am reminded of all the late nights as a kid slaving over my math homework and my Dad (despite a very long day at the office) staying up late with me and patiently teaching me how to work out all the confusing math problems that so easily frustrated me. I can also remember many nights, we would enjoy sitting side by side on the couch, after dinner, and sharing a bowl of ice cream while watching episodes of "M*A*S*H" together. I have always felt so safe and loved by my Dad. Even now, when I am in his presence, he never misses an opportunity to give me one of his great big bear hugs and reminds me how much he loves me. I am thankful for his patience with me over the years as I struggled at times to figure out who I was and where I fit in in this crazy world. More importantly, I am eternally grateful to him for never giving up on me (even when I wanted to give up on myself) and for reminding me the importance of developing a relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ- Dad taught me that by turning to them, I would truly find peace in this life. I believe one of Dad's greatest attributes is how he teaches not only by his words, but more importantly by his actions.

These days...I don't get to see my Dad as much as I would like- we live so far away from each other, but nevertheless, I want him to know today that he is never far in my thoughts. His righteous and loving example has left an eternal impression on my heart and mind. I love you Dad with all my heart!!! Happy Father's Day!!!


I am equally grateful today for my husband and the amazing love that he has for our son, Noah. It warms my heart to see the two of them together. He is so loving and patient with Noah- it is the cutest thing to see him walk in the door after work and watch Noah go running into his arms. What a blessing he is in Noah's life and mine. Happy Father's Day Jody- we love you so very much!!!





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Things like this make me want to be such a better parent. I am grateful to be able to add other's thoughts and experiences to my own as I strive to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, you have such awesome parents. How wonderful it was to read about your dad. Happy Father's Day to him and to Jody.

    ReplyDelete